Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450C

tuney443 ยท 2018-01-06 11:33

Just found a great CL find--a 1979 JD 450C track loader. Supposedly sitting for 20 years at a foreclosed estate. Got my buddy to haul it out of it's nasty frozen perch with locked up tight as a drum tracks with his 40 ton winch on his Peterbilt recovery truck in the middle of the night.Read that off peak DOT hours. Next day with some fresh new batteries and fuel I had that baby running like a champ. After a few hours though she would'nt stay running, apparently the governor rings in the injection pump went South.Talking South, I sent the pump out to O&C Diesel in Augusta, GA for rebuilding--WOW--$450, more than half of what rebuilders by me in NY wanted. Another old girl lives again.

Replies28
  1. #1redneckracin2018-01-06 14:37

    Let's see the pics! I have a 450 sitting at the house right now that still runs great. Make sure you check the front cross bar for cracks and missing bolts.

  2. #2tuney4432018-01-06 14:49

    I've had about 6 350's and 450' s over the years.Still have my 1984 450D dozer that I bought new and still runs like new. Also have a 420 and 2 440's with Jimmy Diesels along wih other JD iron.What makes this find relevant is the wet clutches,those are hard to find on the cheap on CL finds.Pics coming.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-01-06 17:40

    450.00?? did you mean LESS THAN 1/2 of what a NY rebuilder wanted?? I guess O&C has been reading/visiting the HEF site & figured out what a pump REALLY costs to rebuild. Glad you gotter up & running..

  4. #4tuney4432018-01-06 19:30

    It's like the part in the original Jurassic Park where Malcolm states" I'm always looking for the future X Mrs.Malcolm." In other words sometimes I get confused with double negatives, the more I think about it, the more confused I become. My English teacher wife has got her hands full, yes indeedy.lol

  5. #5tuney4432018-01-06 19:34

    More to come.

  6. #6DMiller2018-01-23 09:00

    Old Stanadyne or Roosa Master pumps were really bad for the gov coupler disintegrating, remans around here will run $900 IF you can find someone interested in doing it. You got good and lucky. Should be a good little tractor, very nimble but small and light for really heavy work.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2018-01-23 13:23

    Just call me your 4 leaf clover.. Lol I love rebuilding them..

  8. #8DMiller2018-01-23 15:23

    Actually pretty simple pumps, just a few special tools and techniques, but what would I know!!

  9. #9tuney4432018-02-05 06:49

    Engine runs like a Deere. Hats off to O&C. Never got involved with tearing into a pump, that's why there's experts out there.Hopefully, the clutch and the left steering clutch just need adjusting, they're both not right.

  10. #10tuney4432018-02-12 01:09

    Strangest thing happened while checking things with the belly pan off,was checking tightness on front crossbar bolts and not 1,not 2, but 3 bolts just broke off while tightening with hardly any effort. Going to be fun getting those broken studs out now but have lots of experience with drilling/easy outs.

  11. #11DMiller2018-02-12 06:32

    Good luck! Most likely were fractured just had not busted the heads off, I too am getting SOME better at bolt removals.

  12. #12hillbillywrench2018-02-12 23:33

    I worked on die-casting dies for several years, (some were over 45,000# assembled). Broken bolts were a daily occurance. We discovered that a simple air engraving pencil with a dull point worked surprisingly well. The combination of steady counterclockwise pressure and vibration would spin fractured bolts right out. Didn't do much for rusted/corroded, but good on fractured. MUCH easier and faster than drilling and EZ-out. Also doesn't interfere with drilling out if it doesn't work. I thought the older guys were jerking my chain when they told me to try it, but it really worked sometimes. It only took a couple minutes to try it. If it worked, then GREAT. If it didn't, then we started drilling. Yours are probably just a little rusted after that many years though.

  13. #13thepumpguysc2018-02-13 03:17

    HBW> that's a fantastic tip.. I JUST broke off a drill bit in a hole.. its not deep but I was looking for a solution.. THANKS, I'll give it a try when it quits raining.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2018-02-13 09:21

    If that has the two speed forward with single speed reverse in the power reverser make sure you use the manual and adjust the linkages in proper steps as shown. A number of steps to do it right but its not a bad job. They all effect each other and many are messed up when folks adjust them without following the correct procedure.

  15. #15d9gdon2018-02-13 10:00

    It's kind of like greasing an old Allis Chalmers combine from the fifties, it's a complicated process LOL.

  16. #16DMiller2018-02-16 08:25

    As to the locked up rails, freed up at all? If not soak 'em with water WHEN NOT FREEZING OUT and then run it for a trophy, water set the crap water will help remove the lock.

  17. #17Hobbytime2018-02-16 09:21

    I saw that same machine on CL a few months back, I was looking for spare parts for my JD 355 track loader, but not much would fit so I passed on it..but better you bring it back to life, the CL add did say it needed track work...

  18. #18Hobbytime2018-02-16 09:25

    best way to get those nuts off are to put a flat washer down over bolt hole and then a big nut and weld to broken stud even if below surface with mig or stick and then unscrew, may take a few times but much easier than drilling and easy outs..

  19. #19tuney4432018-03-02 08:06

    Yeah, broke the tracks free a few months ago as soon as I had it running releasing the clutch slowly. I use waste oil with some ATF added to free up tight rails. Why would you use water????

  20. #20tuney4432018-03-02 08:09

    I think you were looking at a different ad as I don't remember anything being said on track work. This was in New City, Rockland County--the 2 nasty brothers had a D2, and an old 680 Case TLB also for sale.

  21. #21DMiller2018-03-02 08:11

    Water causes the rust, is the fastest liquid to absorb back into rust, once free and rolling then can add lube but caution there as well as sticky oil collects dirt/trash where will add to and retain the abrasive content in the pin/bushing bore. Kind of like adding oil to a sharpening stone.

  22. #22tuney4432018-03-18 21:35

    Been using waste oil, a shot of PB Blaster from time to time, anything oil based for years but definitely not water. To each our own.

  23. #23DMiller2018-03-19 07:11

    Start with water to break it free, waste fuel and oil after that works well to push the moisture out.

  24. #24tuney4432018-04-16 09:58

    Tracks are at app. 90% free pivoting now, getting better every time I use old Johnny now. My waste oil brew did the trick. I officially entered old Johnny into the fleet as my new topsoil/compost screening/mixing/loading rig.

  25. #25tuney4432018-08-29 03:15

    Some pics without the 20 year old slime after she went through the crawler wash

  26. #26redneckracin2018-08-29 07:22

    Looks like a nice machine! I have a 450b that i use from time to time. Very capable little machine!

  27. #27DMiller2018-08-29 07:24

    Was a handy size for contractors here, easy to trailer and haul for concrete tear outs, light subdivision grade work etc.

  28. #28d9gdon2018-08-29 22:10

    Very nice machine...keep an eye on those transmission mounting bolts and keep them tight.