Hi Guys Looking for advice on a heavy truck. Would love a roll-off truck so I could move a 4ton mini or use bin for gravel/fill maybe 8 ton payload plus weight of roll-off system plus bins. We do mostly compact excavation so turning radius is important. Also would like to haul a good load of material on truck and used a tag float with air breaks to move mini ex and maybe a 2nd machine ie skidsteer I do have a full AZ lic Is it possible and practical to do this with a single axle? What motor and tranny setup would u recommend to have reasonable power to haul and tow at maximum load? Thxs
Kenworth T300. They turn good, ride good, and maintain some value. As long as your hitch was setup right you could get away with a single axle just fine. Have you considered a roll off trailer? That T300 would make a good tow rig and you'd have a shorter turning radius with that truck hooked to a gooseneck than that truck with a roll off setup and pintle hitch behind it. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Thxs for reply 02dmax. Did quick Google on kw t300: tons of different motors anywhere from 200 to 330hp? How much hp and what flavour do you recommend?
As much as I hate to say it I'd recommend the cummins 8.3. The cat engines are fine but they're known for having catastrophic failures before 300k miles. My service truck is an 02 t300. I bought it with a bad 3126 (threw rod through the block) and repowered it with a mechanical 8.3 Cummins (newer ones are known as ISC's). What's your price range and how new are you wanting? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I never had a heavy truck of my own that i thought had to much power. whats your idea of a "good load" here in the states the most you can put on the drive axle is 20,000 Lbs.
Yeah, a single screw tractor and a roll off trailer would haul more, and it could pull a little lowboy, or you could use a flat deck roll off, load and chain the equip on the ground, then pick it up. That would be a cool rig, since we are spending your money, anyway.
Thxs guys reply guys. Not sure on budget...lrg production per hr can justify $$...its kind of replacing my 3/4 diesel pickup so....$40-$50k...but lower is always better...but I would prefer pay more up front for less down time at mechanic's...dreaming of heavy roll off with air brakes and air ports for trailer... Would like 8ton payload plus rolloff unit on truck. If max drive axle is 20 000... Does that push me to tandem? Or should I give up pay load to save going to tandem? I realize heavy trucks really not sports car performers but there is big range in HP for same truck ie 200 upto 330hp. I assume higher HP equal $$ and more fuel $$ ? But do have some good hills and some highway speeds needed. So where is sweet spot regarding power? What about transmission? Thxs again for time.
300 plus on hp ,330 is about perfect ,, cabovers turn on a dime which is a huge advantage, ride sucks thou. consider a lift axle just to be safe as the cans are always over, 8LL trans and locker is a good option, good luck and pics please.
Don't know which providence you will be driving in, but in Canada you can put some crazy weights on a single axle. I think 15,000kg or 18kg in AB and BC. Don't quote me on that, my atlas is out in the truck, I'm going from memory.