Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Please

DJERN11 ยท 2006-05-17 22:08

First of all Hello to everyone. I am a new member. I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 DAEWOO MEGA 200. The gentleman called me today and told me that he has his original bill of sale from the dealer and nothing else. Now how do I go about registering it etc...It is a 6 yr old machine and the sales tax was 6000.00 6 years ago....all I have is a original bill of sale, but I only paid 40,000 for the machine? He never registered it because he only ran it on his private property. Please give me some advise before I march into my local DMV in NY.

Replies10
  1. #1cat3202006-05-17 22:26

    welcome to the site. Well I think they reg. it like a commercial truck by weight sales tax they might go by what your bill of sale is or just look it up and if it cost 50K then they will tax on that and not what you paid but i'm not sure about NY. Also you might find some answers online at the DMV.

  2. #2Jeff D.2006-05-17 22:52

    Welcome Djern11, Does NY DMV require you to register heavy equipment with them,if it isn't operated on the roads? They don't come with titles,so I wouldn't think the DMV would handle registation for them.The state propably does have some form of tax collection for a private sale like that,since if you'de bought it from a dealer,they would've collected it.(sales tax) If you wanted it all on the "up and up" you would need to get a bill of sale from the person you purchased it from,and pay the state sales tax on what YOU paid for it.The original puchase price would be of no concern,since he'd paid the tax when he purchased it. A Bill of sale is all you would need for proof that you owned it. I don't know if NY is different,but this is how I understand it. Good Luck:thumbsup

  3. #3Steve Frazier2006-05-17 22:54

    You'll have to get a sales receipt from your seller showing the date, machine ID number, purchase price and the seller's signature. If this is unavailable, there's a form DMV has that you can fill out and I believe will need to be notarized with the pertinent information of the sale. I'm not sure if insurance is required or not. You'll pay NYS sales tax at the rate of your County based on the sale price to you. As far as I know, "Road Building Equipment" are registered at a flat rate with "Special Commercial" plates. The fee used to be real cheap, but I'm sure that has changed over the years. You can check out the DMV website and look for info there.

  4. #4DJERN112006-05-18 06:13

    Thanks for all of your help... I can get a bill of sale from the man I'm purchasing it from...I'll take to my Local DMV and see what happens Thanks again....I'll let you know how I make out

  5. #5xkvator2006-05-18 08:53

    why would you want to pay sales tax? don't have to on a private sale on a piece of off road equip...at least in Pa. you don't...unless you're getting SME plates for it

  6. #6Steve Frazier2006-05-18 09:55

    In NY, any time an exchange is made between two entities, NY wants a piece of the action. If you want to register the machine for road travel as DJERN11 wishes to, then you must pay the piper. I'll bet if you look at Pa. law closely, it's not written where you don't have to, it's probably that there is no way for the State to know that a transaction has taken place if kept private between two individuals.

  7. #7digger242j2006-05-18 10:32

    Xkvator, I hate to burst your bubble. In addition to the sales tax, you have to pay "use" tax on stuff you bought out of state and used here. No mention of whether you intend to register it or not. "A use tax, at the same rate as sales tax, is due on taxable purchases of tangible personal property or specified services used or consumed in Pennsylvania where no sales tax is paid to a vendor. For example, the purchase may have been made out-of-state. Licensees must report and pay use tax at the time their regular sales tax return is due. Non-licensees must report and pay use tax on or before the end of the month following the month during which the tax was incurred." The entire text can be seen here: http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/revenue/cwp/view.asp?a=11&q=48828 A cautionary tale: When my Dad and I bought our first backhoe, we dealt with a case dealer just over the PA line in West Virginia. They didn't have sales tax. We bought a brand new 580, and traded up to a 680 less than a year later. About six years after that, we were audited be the PA sales tax people. We'd payed no sales tax on a 60 some thousand dollar machine. The audit went back 5 1/2 years. :angel I'l never count on being so lucky again...

  8. #8DJERN112006-05-18 18:04

    All Done!!!!!!! :bouncegri Well here is what happened in a very short version. When Went to DMV, I gave them a receipt of sale, proof of incorporation, filled out dmv sheet transferring plates from one loader to another, It would not work!!! I needed proof of the previous ownership! the guy had nothing!!!!!!!! He had the original proof of origin......Walla...all done....It is not a loader by the way....It is a POWER SHOVEL!!!! Fine with me...It wouldn't work any other way......And one more thing, NO SALES TAX!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I WASN'T GOING TO ASK!!:thumbsup

  9. #9Jeff D.2006-05-19 23:40

    Glad you were able to get it worked out DJERN11.Not having to pay the tax must have saved you about $3k.Hopefully they won't come looking for it later. I was suprised by the fact that you need a plate on your loader.I wonder how common this is in other states,if the machinery is operated on the road? I haven't seen plates on any machinery in my area.I've run farm tractors and such down the shoulders many times with only an orange safety triangle on the back,and never given it a second thought. You'll have to keep us posted on how that loader(er..power shovel)works out for you. Take Care.

  10. #10atgreene2006-05-20 19:42

    If it's on a public way it is required to be registered in Maine. Exception is farm equipment going from farm to farm or farm to field. If it's a farm tractor moving snow for hire etc, it must be registered. The other advantage to registering a piece of equip in Maine is they can't tax you personal property tax if it's registered. I once asked if I register my tool chest if it would then be exempt from personal property tax. They said yes, but the tools inside are still taxable separately!:Banghead Some times the personal property tax is less than reg, so you have to figure it both ways before reg it. Either way, they get you.