Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help please. Swing cylinder seals

QLW ยท 2020-04-05 18:23

Hello. Hope everyone is well in these weird times. I have a 1997 580L. Took the swing cylinder rods out to replace seals. Simple enough right? I def have 2 inch rod, bore is 3 3/4 not 4 inches like it is sposed to be. Seal kit seems to be correct number. Gland seals are correct. New piston seals too big, 4 inches. Anyone have thoughts. Need to get this back running. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1highwayghost2020-04-05 18:41

    If the cylinders are original they should have numbers stamped on the end. You should be able to match seal kits to these cylinder numbers.

  2. #2QLW2020-04-05 18:51

    Are the numbers on the gland or the tube?

  3. #3highwayghost2020-04-05 19:06

    Typically on the gland.

  4. #4QLW2020-04-05 19:41

    Ok got it solved. Thanks ghost. The number led me to cylinder then to kit number. Turns out the 580k had 1.75 rod, 3.5 barrel. Most 580l have 2 in rod and 4 in barrel. Mine is more uncommon with 2 rod and 3.75 barrel. Thanks again for the help.

  5. #5highwayghost2020-04-05 20:12

    Glad I could help. Sounds like most of the things I end up with, uncommon. A ba$tard, put together with all the left over parts. Makes repairs so much tougher.

  6. #6QLW2020-04-08 19:58

    On putting the piston/rod/gland back in the barrel, is there any benefit to compressing the iron ring or the piston seal before hand on this cylinder? I had to on the stabilizer, but this one seems different.

  7. #7highwayghost2020-04-09 14:03

    I have had some go in smoothly others need help by precompressing the seal. I used worm gear hose clamps with a little warmth to make the seal more flexible.