Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555D seat will not spin

Setteduke · 2020-04-04 21:05

Need some help. Seat on my 555D won’t spin. When I pull the lever on bottom the springs open, but something is not letting it spin took seat off but can’t find a way to get to the housing unit to see what is going on. Any advice please! I’m ready to pull stumps and want to do this in comfort! Thank you all for the help!

Replies11
  1. #1Ronsii2020-04-04 21:30

    Not familiar with the 555d but a lot of times things just just stuck.rusted/etc from lack of lube... at least on the older stuff I work on got any pics???

  2. #2Billrog2020-04-04 21:47

    Grease it !!

  3. #3Setteduke2020-04-04 22:14

    Can't find the grease fitting. I hit all moving parts in seat with PB yesterday and tried to work on again today. I will send pics tomorrow! I got the machine off auction last April. Its been great, i have replaced multiple hoses, tie rod so far. Hit all grease fittings, I guess not the seat one!

  4. #4Ronsii2020-04-04 22:46

    There won't necessarily be one for the seat but I do know some hoes have them on the seat column some also have an interlock that won't swivel unless the seat slide is in the right position. Anyways it is more than likely a lube issue unless something broke....

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-04-05 08:19

    Some seats have to be slid all the way rearward before they will turn.

  6. #6Setteduke2020-04-05 19:58

    Yes, I do need to slide seat all the way back and then spin. The greaser fitting is on the inside of the column closer to the vents and my grease gun head is too big for the space. I guess I need to find a grease gun head that is smaller, then I will grease and hope that is the solution. Thanks for all the help.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-04-05 20:16

    You need one of these. I had one in the 1970's when I ran a service truck.

  8. #8highwayghost2020-04-05 20:59

    The Milsco suspension seat in my 580SL would not spin. There is a cable that is connected to the swivel lock. The outer sheath of the cable had come loose from its mount and would not allow the inner cable to pull the spin lock free.

  9. #9Setteduke2020-04-15 20:39

    Update - greased and greased some more. Took seat apart and put back together. Still won’t spin. I do need to have the seat all the way back in order to spin. Still not working. A few pics attached. Not sure what else to attempt.

  10. #10Mike Legg2020-04-16 07:43

    Look @ youtube "John Deere 310SE Seat Restore". Might get some ideas...........

  11. #11Setteduke2020-05-07 19:15

    I finally fixed the seat. Purchased swivel from Northern tool and installed. Had to drill a few holes and then got her in. Not the best, but working well! Seat a little higher and have to move seat back and forth to rotate but worth the effort! For all the help thank you!