1991 580K Case Backhoe, 2 wheel drive, non tilt-telescope steering wheel, no horn. The steering valve is leaking. The Case manual says to remove the 5 hydraulic hoses, but it is so tight, I wanted to disconnect the steering shaft from the valve...drop the valve down a little and then remove the hoses. I removed the steering wheel, then removed the four valve mounting bolts (two hold the steering column flange to the plate and then into the valve body and the other two hold the steering column flange to the valve with through holes in the mounting plate) a little confusing perhaps. After removing these 4 bolts, the valve does not drop down like I think it should. I have the parts manual and the overhaul manual, but it is not clear how the steering shaft attaches to the valve. I assume it is just a slip fit spline. What am I missing???
It is an Eaton steering valve.
It is partially under control. I loosened the steering rod tube enough to slide everything down so I could see better. All of the bolts were removed earlier and there were no pins to remove. The tube flange and the top of the valve were just "stuck" together. I had a "long" cold chisel and tapped the joint enough to unstick them. Now I am trying to get all 5 of the hydraulic lines removed so I can get the valve out to replace the seal or seals. As a weak octogenarian, I need cheater tools to get the hydraulic lines loose. AND THEN: It started sprinkling rain. I needed a break anyway. More later..........