Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help!!! this crawler is giving me fits

Dirtydirt · 2024-09-26 00:36

So I own a Case D450 serial#3049065 early 70s vintage, I believe 1973. I love this little crawler it has never let me down till now, and now is when I need it most. I was using it to dig holes and bury junk and after a hard day it just up and died. Thinkin I might be low on fuel I walked up and got my truck but I was low on fuel not out. I fueled up, had a beer then fired up my cat, it fired right up same as always, I don't think it takes a full revolution to start and it don't care how cold or hot no ether no plugging it in nothin, it fires up and runs like a champ. well after I started it up it sat there idling for 2 maybe 3 minutes and died again. So i assumed it must be fuel filters even though they only had around 100 gallons of fuel thru them, no change if it sits for a couple hours it'll fire right up idle or high idle for 5 minutes or so then die, before it dies the throttle is worthless it won't rev up and as soon as i let off the gas it dies. I can instantly fire it right back up but it just dies again. Next I replaced the soft line in the fuel line and blew compressed air thru the steel line both ways clean as a whistle. Next I pulled the air filter blew it out, dirty but nothing unexpected, no change. Next I pulled the return line and the tee off the govenor cover and the little check valve off the top of the cover I picked around the inlet side and found some little rust particles but nothing major, I wasn't sure how much abuse it could take so I was pretty easy on it. this time when I fired it up it seemed like it ran for about twice as long as it had been like 10 minutes instead of 5 but just like before the throttle became useless and it died. 1 other thing I did was replace the screen filter on the inlet side of the pump which by the way is a Roosa Master DB2-3982 model# and rpm is 3944027 2100 I'm at a loss here, I just don't understand how it can run so good but only for a limited amount of time. I know most of you guys have more talent and knoledge in your little finger than I will ever hope to have so please stear me in the right direction. thank you all , Brian Wagner Christmas Valley, Oregon

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-09-26 00:59

    Might be something with the injection pump. Hopefully the pumpguy see's this. He'll likely know what's wrong.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-09-26 03:09

    Take the fitting with the glass ball and spring (return connector) completely out of the system.. screw the fitting that was in the r connector back into the cover.. it’ll run now.. All u did was allow yourself time to get done what u needed to get done and make it back to the shop.. The pump needs to come off to be repaired.. (broken flex ring)

  3. #3Vetech632024-09-26 07:41

    Send your pump to ^. Then when your engine is running perfectly, come back here and pump up TPG’s ego a few notches. I feel like he’s been own lately lol

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-09-26 08:59

    Lol.. u know me so well.!! Lol

  5. #5Dirtydirt2024-09-26 12:32

    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Well sir, {Mr. thepumpguy from Sunny South Carolina } I have a couple question's for you, is there any chance of my finishing this job, maybe 3 days of moderate work, before I pull this pump and send it out for repair? And how busy are you? I'm not gonna send this to some yahoo, and i figure with a moniker like yours I'm already talking to the smartest guy in the room so no need to look any further.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-09-26 13:53

    Thanks.. Yes u can finish..BUT.. if the rpm’s start fluctuating A LOT, shut it down.. that means it’s getting ready to go nuclear.. If it continues to shut off, it means some big pieces of flex ring is blocking the return to the tank and u have to try to clear it.. U can take the line loose at the pump and blow back to the tank.. OR.. if u know where the return comes into the tank.. Still take the line loose from the pump and “back blow it” towards the pump.. If u need instructions timing it and taking it off, lemme know. U can reach me directly at: My screen name at aoldotcom in your home email.. Good luck

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-09-26 13:55

    If u need it, I’ll get it done.. no worries..

  8. #8Dave Neubert2024-09-27 11:58

    The pump guy will do you right