Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Valueing my Hoe?

RHuddleston ยท 2020-05-09 08:40

Purchased my CASE 580K Phase 3 Backhoe to do a few projects around the place and then resale. I have done some repair such as repacking cylinders and such to a point it runs and performs as it should. It has 3 buckets 12"/18"/24" Hoe still needs a few things such as: I have to air up the rear tires every time I want to use it but they will stay up all day at least. Door window is missing on the Right side all other glass is good. Seat is worn down to the foam and looks tacky. Most of the gauges/lights/AC do not work. Here are my questions: If I continue to put money in the Backhoe can I get it out of it? Am I better off to sell it as is? Anyone know what its worth as is? Thanks and a couple of pictures.

Replies15
  1. #1Delmer2020-05-09 09:07

    1. How much do you value your time? Most of those are a lot of time, I'd get the seat covered, even if it's an amateur job. Replace the glass. Get the gauges and lights working. Maybe the AC, given the season and your location. IF you value your time correctly/highly, then I don't think there's going to be much return IF ANY. Sell it as is. The only thing that will return on the investment is washing it, you know why there's so many pictures of wet machines? the faded old and rusty paint looks new when wet. You could buff that worn out old paint and it would look half it's age? kinda silly, but that's what people pay for... You're going to hate me, but I'd guess $10k (plus 4, or minus 2?)

  2. #2RHuddleston2020-05-09 09:21

    10K THRILLS me! As is?

  3. #3csthompson122020-05-09 09:50

    I'd say just recover the seat, its one of those things you notice right away... I'd say 10k as well would be a good price. Good running case backhoes won't sell for much cheaper around here.

  4. #4DMiller2020-05-09 10:01

    10K around here is a Premium for a Premium machine that everything functions on as all too many of these in the market. Hydraulics solid is a Plus, gauges are a must function, recent service and records as far back as can achieve another group of points. Crap tires, leaks, old oils and no service records cut hard for anyone with good coin looking for a decent machine. And Yes, filthy inside, lost or busted glass open to elements, with the creature comforts destroyed will turn many the other way as becomes cheaper to rent and return.

  5. #5DMiller2020-05-09 11:02

    Buddy of mine bought this one, $12500 with all you see on the trailer. That was some years ago(either 8 0r 9) and yes the owner had service records as well repairs receipts. Spare Rear and Front on rims, forks, second hoe bucket, did need side glass but all gauges functioned and machine worked well with minor pin/bushing play as usual.

  6. #6John C.2020-05-09 11:13

    What is the year of manufacture or at least provide a serial number so I can look it up. I also need the hour meter reading. As far as doing any repairs go, it always depends on your asking price and expectation of the markets.

  7. #7highwayghost2020-05-09 11:40

    I'm like that... When I see those small/easier things NOT fixed to keep equipment in decent shape, I have to think the they are not doing many of things that you can't see. Oil changes, grease, hoses, pins, etc. may also be neglected. If they won't even power wash it, are they going to get under it?? Many are like that. Worked hard and put away wet. I do understand their reasons, but not a machine I would want to purchase unless the price was so low that whipping it back into shape was worth the trouble.

  8. #8edgephoto2020-05-09 12:02

    It is easier to sell anything if it all works. Why not at least get all the lights and gauges working. Maybe even see why the A/C does not work. If you have that many electrical things not working you most likely have a bad ground somewhere. I am not up on Case models but I can say when I was looking last fall for a machine, $10k got you a 2WD machine from 1985-1995 in decent condition. 1995-2005 seemed to be closer to $20k. Again assuming everything worked. 4WD machines bring a premium but I see yours is 2WD.

  9. #9Delmer2020-05-09 12:34

    The more you can get working the better. The lights and gauges don't cost a lot, but again what's your time worth. NO WAY I'd change the backhoe controls just to sell it, unless that's what the buyer demands and you have cash in hand. I think we're as close on price as possible, a lot depends on who shows up to look at it, how this panic goes, how many mass graves are needed in a hurry...

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-05-09 13:01

    You can have the most pristine machine and it's been totally rebuilt but if the seat is destroyed will drop thousands off the price. It's like saying needs minor repairs in the ad. If they're that minor fix them. Try and get the tires to hold air, replace the window, fix or replace the seat and get the gauges and lights to work. The AC maybe if it just needs recharged. It shows pride of ownership and will get you a better price.

  11. #11RHuddleston2020-05-09 19:05

    I will check the hour meter in a bit. JJG0027655 is the serial # best I can tell early 90s to late 80s.

  12. #12RHuddleston2020-05-09 19:12
  13. #13John C.2020-05-09 19:35

    Your machine is a 1990 model. I don't know what Phase 3 is and there is no designation like that in my information. Average auction sales over the last year is $8,232 and average retail asking price is $14,940. Adjusting for profit and sundries on the asking price and you get around $10,500 for a machine in running condition. Bottom of the barrel at auction was about $6,500. You have about a $4,000 range which is the gamble you take on improvements and profit if you want to consider that. I don't know your area and right now everywhere is depressed unnaturally. Good Luck

  14. #14RHuddleston2020-05-09 20:17

    Thank you Sir that is great information. I am not much fond of putting lipstick on a pig or try to portray it as something it is not. I would rather fix a few things relative to function than to put a $300 seat on it. I think the gauges are a great point made. I keep wondering how much fuel I have in it. I have purchased a full set of filters and plan on doing a good maintenance on it soon. I wanted to put a few hours on it to make sure it was worth an effort and so far I have been very impressed with it.

  15. #15Welder Dave2020-05-09 20:54

    A destroyed seat does more to instantly de-value a machine than most anything else in my experience. It sticks out like a sore thumb and that's where you're planted when using the machine. I've even seen cheap garden tractor seats put on equipment to make them look better.