Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with 18K 4 post lift for new shop.

Legdoc · 2023-10-16 22:07

I am considering installing a 18K 4 post lift in my new shop. The heaviest item I have is a Case 580M. We do all our own maintenance and repairs on our farm, construction machinery and vehicles. If I do so I will also get a 10K rolling jack as an accessory. Years ago I would not even consider this $20,000 plus expense but as I get older crawling under the units is no fun and getting quite difficult. One injury would justify the expense. I am considering a Rotary SM-18 or a similar Challenger Lift unit. Has anyone had experience with these units or using a lift in this fashion? Thanks in advance. Legdoc

Replies17
  1. #1skyking12023-10-16 22:12

    I installed a rotary 2 post 10K at the neighbor's shop, I stood up the masts with the mini. It is a good unit. I would only be concerned about the big imbalance in weight on a backhoe, but you have enough excess capacity at 18K, IMO. The other concern is the track. Make sure you are happy with how it is going to fit on the rails.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-10-16 23:14

    How tall is the ceiling? I wonder if putting a pit with removable covers could be an option?

  3. #3crane operator2023-10-16 23:16

    Is your ceiling/ sidewall of the building tall enough to put a backhoe up on the lift? Or do you have to lay down the boom? Is there any work on the backhoe that you couldn’t do without just putting it up on the bucket and outriggers? Getting the same height as a 4 post lift? I’ve thought about a big two post lift in my shop, but I don’t want to lose the space for just working on pickups. I would prefer a two post for working on pickups. My local shop (who I talked with when I was looking) has both 4 post and 2 post lifts. the owner has commented to me that he wishes they had more 2 posts and fewer 4 post lifts in his shop. The little work that I have done with a 4 post, I find the ramps always in my way. Can’t pull any tires off, can’t do suspension or brake work. I’m too tall to stand up and work under it either.

  4. #4Legdoc2023-10-16 23:56

    18' eve height on building.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-10-17 00:06

    I don't think you'd be able to lift a backhoe very high which kind of defeats the purpose of paying big bucks for an 18K hoist. Why not just pick it up with the stabilizers and bucket and put suitable blocks under the tires?

  6. #6Acoals2023-10-17 07:17

    18' will get you plenty high, not really an issue there. The specs say the cab height on a 580m is 9'. The boom will be higher, there is still plenty of room. That being said automotive lifts don't really work that well for heavy equipment. I have used 4 post lifts with skid loaders, and they tend to stress the lift, as the weight is concentrated in the middle, while a big truck of similar weight spreads the weight out to the ends of the ramps. I remember the ramps flexing more than what seemed like a healthy amount. It's ok here and there, but for regular use you might want to look into specs for loading on whatever you choose.

  7. #7Acoals2023-10-17 07:30

    The 4 posters I have used had jacks in a track in the center. I think the OP said he would buy one if he went with a hoist. For auto work I would generally agree about the nuisance of the ramps. The 4 post lifts are only better for real big stuff that doesn't fit or is too unstable on a 2 post lift.

  8. #8cfherrman2023-10-17 07:31

    You would probably be better served some sort of gantry

  9. #9Vetech632023-10-17 07:57

    All you need is this.

  10. #10Old Doug2023-10-17 08:50

    They removed a 2 post were i worked and put in a heavy 4 post with trolly jacks. The guys there like it i have never used it yet but it looks 90 persent unhandy . The shop does oil changes and tire work . About every 3rd car that is getting a oil change needs tire work so there is several more steps to go through with the 4 post than there was with a 2 post.

  11. #11skyking12023-10-17 17:30

    There are a few jobs that are the same, most are easier on the 2 post. One job that might be easier is a transmission, because you have two handy shelves for tools and parts Alignment seems to be the targeted purpose for a 4 post because you have the weight on the rubber and you can get all the doodads and bolts up where you can work on them. That is how I see them used anyway. Kimballs in Tacoma has an absolute alignment guru with one, if you need a 4 wheel alignment and he can get it on his gear, he will do it. He was about retirement age last time I saw him. I hope he trained somebody up.

  12. #12Legdoc2023-10-17 20:26

    Good observation. I feel like I need one of these after I crawl around under a vehicle or piece of equipment. I will defer it's use to my patients until I absolutely need one. I appreciate all the comments. I might call Rotary and inquire about lifting the hoe. 4 wheeled hoe that is.

  13. #13crane operator2023-10-17 20:36

    The one I was around, had I think two of those, and they were a pain to slide back and forth. But it may have just been a big POS lift also.

  14. #14chidog2023-10-18 05:09

    If I ever did a 2 post lift, I'd be welding on 4 extension plates to that ridiculous small bolt to the floor flange plate they all have. Also I'd want some extra thick concrete for the posts to be sitting on. I bet not many do that?

  15. #15Acoals2023-10-20 09:38

    At least 8" of concrete is required under a 2 post lift. All the lifts I have been around or installed have had at least that. Extension plates just get in the way, and are completely unnecessary if the lift is installed and used as intended.

  16. #16skyking12023-10-20 10:19

    Everybody does it. You can cut out your slab and put in a footing if needed. I've seen that done. That's a lot neater and more effective than some welded on plates. Couple of bar, 8 in thick. The key to safe use is making sure the rig is balanced on the lift, you can see that when you first lift it up the traveler will move to the front or the back if it's loaded front or back. Move the vehicle. Get the thing to come up nice and even. After you get it up, put a brace under the differentials. Now you can get completely beastly with it with breaker bars and hammers and all sorts of crazy stuff.

  17. #17cfherrman2023-10-20 13:25

    If you don't trust the concrete for the lift how do you trust it for the post and beams?