Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with a 980B Transmission

oarwhat ยท 2011-05-13 07:04

Hi all. We have a 980B 89P05XX that doesn't have 4th gear. A local guy has a good trans from a 42H1XXX. Will it work? I've gone through the parts list and the case is different. I know it's a strange question but I'm hoping some one will know. Thanks Randy

Replies13
  1. #1AmerIndependent2011-05-17 10:42

    The 42H model transmission will not work in an 89P application without making some modifications. We have a rebuilt 980B transmission that will work for you if interested.

  2. #2oarwhat2012-10-18 19:03

    Can you or anyone tell me what modifications are needed? I can get this rebuilt 42h transmission very reasonable. Thanks

  3. #3hector gemme2012-10-19 06:54

    I dismantled a 980b transmission for the case and am still have the parts and they are in very good condition and with parts number maybe I could help you [email protected]

  4. #4Bob/Ont2012-10-19 12:03

    Randy, did 4th gear just start slipping or has it been out for a long time? Later Bob

  5. #5oarwhat2012-10-19 13:36

    Hey Bob It's been out since I bought it 5-6 years ago. It doesn't try to move at all. Just like it's in neutral. Thanks Randy

  6. #6Bob/Ont2012-10-19 13:52

    Just a heads up on that. Back in the late 70's I saw. A new 980 loose 4th. After it was rebuilt, I test ram it around the yard. ran great and then as I was about to park it. I put it into neutral and let it coast. It started to slow down like the brakes were dragging. I got it up to speed and tried again, it dragged in every gear but 4th. They tore it down again and after much research found a small hole that wasan't drilled al the way through. Once 4th clutch was filled it wouldn't drain enough to release and took out the clutch. I say this because 4th is an od clutch to lose. Might be best to run as is or use different trans. Your trans mightbe like that old one. Later Bob

  7. #7oarwhat2012-10-19 14:12

    Hey Bob That's interesting. Do you know the difference from a 980 42H and a 89P 980B tranny? I went through the whole parts list and the only difference was the case that I could see. I've found a NOS rebuilt one for a 42h for cheap and would like to know what I would have to do to use it. Thanks again Randy

  8. #8Bob/Ont2012-10-19 17:03

    Randy, get a parts book for each machine, what you need is the "Barrel" Clutch packs and planetaries. It's a big job checking them out but if you find the same parts buy it and use the insides? New Old Stock is okay but Don't touch Surplus Stock. Surplus Stock roughly translated. Means NFG, been returned for warranty and not worth making right, foist off to unaware buyer. Been there felt that. Later Bob

  9. #9hector gemme2012-10-19 17:55

    My 980B transmission case # was 9s8777

  10. #10Bob/Ont2012-10-19 18:51

    Hector is your trans Barrel altogether? That is what Randy needs. Later Bob

  11. #11hector gemme2012-10-20 06:37

    Yes the transmission was BARREL altogether and attached the transfert case and weight 2300lbs and all parts are on rack and have some parts # in book

  12. #12Bob/Ont2012-10-20 09:52

    Randy you might be better to take yours apart and see if Hector has the parts you need. Just a clutch pack and seals for sure and I would recommend the #4 clutch housing perchance it's got the same problem as the old one I encountered. I can't tell you how to check your housing. If you use your old clutch housing make sure the machine runs free while coasting in any gear. Any dragging pull it back out and change the housing. Later Bob

  13. #13oarwhat2012-10-31 06:39

    Bob thanks for your help. I've sent you a private message to ask for further assistance thanks again Randy