Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with a CAT 307X stabilizer cylinder p/n?

Pants · 2022-10-20 01:18

Gray-market low-hours CAT307SSR seeks English-speaking stabilizer cylinders...see attached image for the L/R images and Japanese (I should have said "Mitsubishi") part numbers. They're mirror-image cylinders. A couple of parts people told me there is some kind of CAT in-network parts-lookup trick to cross such offshore part numbers, along these lines: "...put in the Mitsibushi part number and part type 84 (code for mitsibushi) it should cross to the caterpillar number..." and then (I think) entering only the numerical part of the whole p/n - so at that point, it'd be 5340200 and 5340100. As far as I know there's no way to do this online as a member of no particular secret society...right? Thanks - Dave

Replies16
  1. #1heymccall2022-10-20 01:32

    I dont think it works that way. How about a serial number?

  2. #2heymccall2022-10-20 01:42

    There are 4 307B prefix. The AFB is the only one where the blade cylinder has 2 bolt flange ends on the piping.

  3. #3heymccall2022-10-20 01:44

    No guarantee they are a match, but...

  4. #4Pants2022-10-20 03:41

    Thanks McCall, but no, I think not quite right. One distinguishing feature of these cylinders are the (two each) pronounced, U-shaped bent-flat-bar zerc protectors, to give those fittings a fighting chance against boulders etc that occasionally make it past the blade and drop onto the cylinders (see that parts illustration). The one you came up with is similar, but those four cylindrical protrusions (for protector plates?) don't exist on mine. While looking at photos like the one below (not mine - it's from online), I have been pretty well convinced that there are domestic machines that have the same cylinders. The one in the photo below is a 1995 307. If it'd be useful, when it's less nighty and rainy, I can get some photos - might even be able to spot a part number on the cylinders themselves if I can assume that position. My s/n is 2FL00800, if that's of any use. 1993 307SSR.

  5. #5Nige2022-10-20 04:20

    Is this somewhat like what you're looking for.? That is the RH cylinder in the illustration BTW. What parts for the cylinder are you actually looking for.? Don't worry about the zerk protectors (or lack thereof). That's easily handled by tack-welding a piece of pipe to the cylinder to cover the zerk.

  6. #6Nige2022-10-20 06:58

    You do know that you can get a Parts Manual for your machine I hope.? I understand that the Part Numbers are in "standard Cat" English number format and although the text is in Japanese it's still fairly simple to figure out what is what. It can be downloaded from Cat Publications.

  7. #7Pants2022-10-20 13:32

    Thanks, Nige! You helped me out innumerable times a few years back, but I wouldn't expect you to remember: yes, I do have that parts manual as a hard copy. The jpg I posted is actually a page from that book, but sadly, no, the part numbers are all unfriendly Mitsubishi (I think), other than to a CAT parts guy who knows that trick I wrote about above: "...put in the Mitsibushi part number and part type 84 (code for mitsibushi) it should cross to the caterpillar number..." (That's worked for two parts people I know, but for some reason not in the case of these two cylinders.) The CAT publications site didn't exist when I bought that manual ages ago - I just looked, wish I could preview a few pages to see if there's been some effort to translate the part-numbers to CATspeak, but I suspect not. Honestly what I need, most basically, is new rods; the chrome is pitted and scarred enough that it began to leak right after my last rebuild, and finding the seals wasn't easy, so that hurts. I'd judiciously taken down protrusions above the chrome, but guess that wasn't enough. So if I could get a good p/n for the whole damned things, I'd probably order them whole just to avoid the long down-time and having to go through the seal-procurement and rebuild effort.

  8. #8Nige2022-10-20 14:12

    Don't you have a local chroming shop.? The rods could be refurbished. When you had the cylinders apart before did you happen to measure the inside diameter of the barrel, the O/D of the rod, and the stroke.? Just to give you an idea the cylinders HMC linked to above from a 307B are 90mm bore x 172mm stroke. The O/D of the rod should measure 49.93mm over the chrome. Can you check your cylinders against those dimensions.?

  9. #9Nige2022-10-20 14:17

    Come to think of it did the seal/wear ring setup on your cylinders look like this inside when you had them pulled apart.?

  10. #10Nige2022-10-20 15:35

    I think I have found them. Part Number 107-6377/107-6472 (LH/RH) and they even have the protectors for the grease zerks......... They are also used on other early 307A excavators of 2PM-prefix. Same specification as above. 90mm bore x 172mm stroke with a "nominal" 50mm diameter rod.

  11. #11heymccall2022-10-20 15:39

    Nige, I see those now, but under a 2WM prefix. I've been using "avspare" .com as I can put in a model number and see all the prefixes. That site doesn't break down the 2PM machine, just the 2WM.

  12. #12Nige2022-10-20 16:10

    I found the cylinder group Part Numbers listed in Cat's "Hydraulic Cylinder & Seal Guide" under "307A" excavator (307B is a different section with different P/Ns), then went searching to see where else they might be used. The 2PM was the first to pop up. Digging a bit deeper they also appear under 2WM as well, which convinces me that they must be the correct ones for a 2FL-prefix machine.

  13. #13Pants2022-10-21 03:47

    Thanks again, Nige. I'm not sure how to verify other than the rod diameter (50mm, indeed) and stroke (tomorrow, if machine cooperates.) 167mm sounds really short, but I won't know for sure until then. I found a bunch of photos I shot 6 years ago when trying to ID the seals for replacement, but I don't think I ever found a cylinder ID number (or I'd have at least a few shots) and clearly didn't record dimensions... https://photos.app.goo.gl/7j1Ht5b5KiknxRvk7 Chrome shops went away a LONG time ago here - too many EPA violations or just too expensive to comply - and from what I used to hear, none of them did reliable work. But I relatively recently did find a guy clear across the mainland US who gave me what I consider reasonable machining prices for such work. OTOH, if I could order these up complete from China, we're even closer, and the hassle factor, while certainly there (shipping and customs are always unknowns), is a lot more tolerable than the long-distance-domestic machining relationship can be.

  14. #14Nige2022-10-21 06:33

    Here are some Part Numbers for the 107-6377(LH) & 107-6472(RH) cylinders. The foregoing numbers are for complete assemblies as per the illustration in Post 11 further up. Only the cylinder barrels are handed L or R. Everything else is common. Cylinder RH - 107-6473 Cylinder LH - 107-6378 Rod - 107-6384 (comes complete with a 5I-9461 Bushing) Seal kit - 093-3045

  15. #15Pants2022-10-21 23:54

    Hey Nige... Got the stroke measured with all the precision expected of a Taiwan-made measuring tape from c. 2007: 6-3/16", or 157mm. Not as close as I'd have expected to your 172mm spec, even with my ghetto instruments, but seems pretty well like a confirmation. Any idea how much the new factory rods and seals might run me? Mahalo - Dave

  16. #16Nige2022-10-22 04:12

    I fear that finding Part Numbers might only be the first challenge you faced. Physically finding parts that are available will be the next, and for price you’ll have to simply grin and pay up if you want them.