Hey, I got a 1977 D3 with the 3204 motor, I had problems with the turning of the tractor. I cannot get the tractor turning. I just changed the transmission valve oil pump but the steering just won’t work that little cylinder that pushes out the fork of the steering clutch just doesn’t move a bit and I wanna know how to fix it because I get 50 psi out of the transmission valve to the clutches!! Help!!
Maybe post your complete serial number and maybe someone will have a paper copy they can send some info from for that old girl. Do you have gauges to test and have you checked all the linkages. Any other service information to tell about the unit, like did it just start suddenly. Was the pump you installed OEM or aftermarket. More deatails is better. Simon C
My cat is a d3 79u1291 I bought a tractor from the ground up. I rebuilt the motor and when I tried to operate it, I noticed it won’t turn so I started looking up for videos of steering clutches being beat up then I tested the oil pressure that comes to the pedals to action the steering clutches and it showed 50 psi so I thought it was a lack of pressure then I replaced the oil pump. It is a aftermarket I got on Finney parts and they notice it won’t change anything because pressure is still the same. I think it’s something wrong on the transmission valve body. Or something wrong in the master cylinder that sends the oil flow to the steering clutches in the back of the tractor.
First thing tell me the pressure at P1 and p2 The taps are under small cover on top of transmission
Can you tell me where is p1 and p2 please! I meeasured the pressure where its red marked
they are under square plate with 4 nuts on top cover they are 1/8 pipe thread
So I gotta take those three that are below that plate and then put a tester in the thread and test the pressure
Check they might be marked P1 P2 and lp you only need P1 and P2
Bolts are marked? With p1-p2?, im gonna upload a photo tomorrow morning so i can get more help please!
Hey i just measured the psi here in the one that its with gold insert and it just shows 50psi same qoth the other 2 in the sides
The pump mounted to the valve is new and you changed the valve in the picture
Pump is new and the valve is the one that came in the tractor!
ok I'm thinking there is a orifice in the body of the valve that is plugged it is just a very small drilled hole. I can't remember exactly where it is located on the valve. I think your best thing would be to disassemble the valve on a bench keep every thing in order and watch for shims and keep them in proper place clean the body make sure the little hole is open (do not drill torch tip cleaner will work fine)
I just dissasembled thevave and cleaned up a little filter that is in there, it totally changed the pressure gauge and finally got it turning !!! Thanks so much to all contributors made my way easy on fixing my first tractor! Thx !!!
There should be a plug on the side of the tractor by the sprocket where the clutch cylinder is. Remove the plug and attach pressure gauge to see if it increases when pedal is depressed
Sounds like he got it working but there can be leaks to the cylinder that engages the steering clutch. Either the cylinder itself or the lines to it. If the machine has dry clutches it's usually easy to tell because there will be oil in the clutch compartment or wet on the lines. Hopefully cleaning the valve was all it needed.