Hi, I have searched for hours to find some incite on this issue. I have a 2014 CAT 259D that intermittently, while in use abruptly stops and applies the park brake. The error code that show on the display are as follows: (these are from the history so they may not all apply to one event) 2474-3 Left Joystick Forward/reverse position sensor voltage above normal 2474-8 Left Joystick Forward/reverse position sensor abnormal frequency pulse with or period 2476-3 Left Joystick Forward/reverse position sensor voltage above normal 1007-3 Joystick mapping switch voltage above normal. I have to assume that I may just need to buy a new LH joystick from CAT for around $800 but I figured I would check here before I get my wallet out. Any ideas would be great. I have been reading the forum for some time now, thanks for all the good info !!
There are Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedures available for all of those Codes. Use the Start A Conversation (hover your mouse over the envelope icon in top RH corner) to drop me a line with your email address. Don't forget to include the machine Serial Number.
Thanks for the fast reply! I (attempted) sent you a message with the serial number.
Having the same problem but only if I try to turn left.
What Diagnostic Codes appear when you do..?
Just an update, I never attempted to diagnose the issues myself. I was able to talk to the skid steer tech and Michigan CAT, told him what codes and explained the issue. He said “it’s the joystick base, replace it, they only last so long”. My machine has under 1000 hours so I hope it was a fluke and it’s not a common failure at 1000 hours as it was a little over $600 part. I have not had the issue since replacing the base but I have also not logged many hours, knock on wood. Time will tell. Thanks again for the help Nige.
Thanks for the update, but I was replying to the other guy who posted this morning asking for help with a joystick problem.......
Thank you for the reply. The codes are 2476-3 and 2474-3. If I go in a straight line or turn to the right it's fine, as soon as I even bump the stick to the left the parking brake comes on and everything quits moving.
Here are the Troubleshooting Procedures for those two particular Diagnostic Codes.
Thank You for your help. Got to step 4 and had no sensor signal. Replaced and it is working fine now. Again, thanks for the help.
Any chance anyone can help me with a similar error code? 2015 cat 279d code is 2476-3 left joystick left/ right position sensor voltage above normal. Thanks
Here's the Troubleshooting Procedure. You will need to be on a PC to download the pdf file, smart phones don't seem to like the format. If you want a copy of the complete Electrical Schematic please post a Serial Number.
Thanks very much!! S/n JGTL01659
Nige is quick to the rescue! In my case problem was resolved by replacing the joystick base. The error has not returned and I have put a couple hundred hours on. good luck. These things are work horses, complicated work horses!
Hi, I have a problem with my joystick from a 289c. Can you replace just the sensor inside, or do you have to replace the entire base?. I have swapped with 1 from 1 of my others at work and it all works fine.
When I talked directly to the skid steer tech at my local CAT dealer he said the whole base is the only option. Around $600 later and (knock on wood) the issue has yet to reappear.
Just to be clear, the part number that you replaced was the BASE ASSEMBLY-JOYSTICK (P/N 456-0168), not the entire CONTROL GROUP-HANDLE (P/N 272-1790) correct?
I can take a look later and see if I have the box or receipt still but is was for sure just the “BASE”.
First time postern here. I am having a similar issue with following intermittent error codes on my 2014 CAT 236D serial # BGZ00942 with 900 hours. 1.) 2475-3 Right Joystick Forward/reverse position sensor voltage above normal 2.) 2477-3 Right Joystick Left/Right position sensor voltage above normal 3.) and occasionally an error on with no number that reads "Action Alarm Current Below Normal". 4.) and occasionally the Service Info screen on the lcd will show input on the joystick Y axis even when it is centered (see picture). Turning key off and on has eventually not thrown the error and allowed me to use the machine/right joystick. That is what makes me question whether the joystick sensor really is bad. Is it common for them to fail intermittently? I've read threads with troubleshooting tips, incl. to use DMM and spoons to check duty cycles and voltage, but I don't have wiring schematics. I have removed, inspected and cleaned the joystick control group and all wiring harness/pins and it all looks good. Closest service is a couple hours away. I may see if I can find spoons for the DMM tomorrow and learn as I go, but at this point may just order the ~$500 part # 456-0167: Base Assembly-Joystick as it seems that is what has resolved these errors for many of you and it'll take a few days to get here. Thanks to all..tons of great info here!
The Diagnostic Codes you have could potentially be related to the common power supply or to the common ground for the joystick position sensors in addition to the possibility that something in the joystick base is starting to act up. A connection with dirt or condensation in it, or loose, could cause the symptoms to come and go. I can post the detailed troubleshooting procedures for the two codes plus send you the electrical schematic as well, but it will be tomorrow because I’ll have to get online on my computer to download the info.
Thanks you Nige. The schematics and troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated!
Here are the troubleshooting procedures for the Diagnostic Codes
The code for the Action alarm is CID0271 FMI05 but there is no troubleshooting procedure listed under your machine Serial Number. Attached is the procedure for a different model. You may have to use the electrical schematic I sent to you to identify wire numbers & colours which may be different between what is in the procedure and what is actually installed on your machine.
I had the same issues with my 259d. I replaced the joystick base and it worked right away. Thanks for the help!!
Any chance any one can give me a hand. Cat 259b Intermittently shuts down full 2 speed and no power to joysticks. I don't know how to pull error codes on this style. Zero voltage to the unlock solenoid
Start with a Serial Number, that's always a good idea. It identifies the correct electrical schematic & troubleshooting procedures Are any Fault lights on.? I'm not 100% certain but I think anything older than a C Series machine needs ET to read Diagnostic Codes.
Found 1 broken wire fixed it up and ready to roll. Under neither hydraulic suction hose. I believe I need et to pull codes as well..customer has had a ongoing issue for 2 years. Said it's never thrown a code or error light.
My new problem now is with the clam bucket. The bucket will open & close but it will not stay open. I resealed both cylinders but that didn't help. I reversed the hoses and now it will stay open but won't stay closed. Changed the solenoid's for that circuit but made no difference. 259D serial number FTL00436.
Have you tried removing the return hose and closing clam bucket to see if any fluid is by passing threw those cylinders. And allowing a leak down. Any chance there is valve sticking open allowing fluid to return to tank? Have you check to see what the pressures are when working the tool?
could i get the diagnostic pdf for code 1078 joystick switch please ? best regards Dominic
What machine is this on.? Post a Serial Number please.
D6N T4 LGP 328-3747 *PBA01681* *C8N18909*
You had me confused for a moment, posting a question regarding a tractor on a thread about skid steer machines…… I’ll message you so as to not confuse things any further.