I have a Deere 550 dozer and have a leak in one of my injectors! It looks to be the washer that seals the injector to the head. How hard is something like this to fix? If you have info please post up. Thanks!! Alex
There is another seal farther down on the injector, like about 1/2 inch from the tip, it is a little white seal. The one that you can see without removing the injector is more or less a dirt seal. check the fuel injection lines and the bleed lines between the injectors, you will probably find that this is where your leak is coming from. The only hard part is removing the injector, sometimes they seize in the head.
If I may add: "when in doubt call a mechanic". It's been my experience that if you are unsure of what you are doing, it's cheaper in the long run to get a professional! Of course stick around and watch what he does, that way if you ever have this problem again you know what you have to do and you can make a desicion from there.
Thanks guys. I can see the leak when the dozer is running. How hard is it to remove the injector? It looks pretty simple. Give me some ideas. Thanks again for your help.
Easy enough, dis-connect the fuel line, dis-connect the bleed lines between injectors, lots of times a roll head pry bar/line up bar/lady slipper what ever you prefer to call them will work. Place the curved end under the part where the injector line attaches and pry it out. There is a special puller attachment that is made that attaches to a slide hammer also. it slides into the small grooves at the base of the injector,just above where the washer seals against the head. Putting the little seal that is further down on the injector can be a bit tricky, i like to put them in a cup of hot water or good cup of coffee for a bit to help them expand when installing them..... good luck and let us know how it goes for you. Hopefully the injector is not seized in the head. I have had them not come out and ended up removing the head and driving them out with a punch from the bottom before. I believe the stanadyne "pencil" injectors are fairly cheap compared to others.
I think the tool is JDE 38, I will have to double check that. Most injectors I come across that leak are from the little black o-rings in the return lines. However some are loose pressure nuts or where the delivery pipe is soldered into the nozzle bore cracks from people prying on it. If the nozzle doesn't come out real easy then don't force it, get the JDE 38. I am not sure if you have a 550 straight, but the reman p/n is SE501100 for the straight model. They go for about 73 each with a 5 core.
I agree, lots of times leaks fuel leaks are created by the taper in the fuel line not being properley seated in the injector also, like i said earlier, the top washer is just a dirt seal, the one in further is mainly a compression seal, along with the taper itself on the tip of the injector. Do not use a wire wheel on a grinder to clean the tip of the injector, get a brass bristle wire brush, (hand held style) and use it gently, otherwise you may distort the spray pattern of the nozzle.
it is a 112 deg outside, help
Thanks SOOOO much guys! I am going to give it a go this weekend ( I hope). I have a Tec manual so I hope things go good and I can get it solved. I have only owned this dozer for 12weeks. Thanks again for your help and I will let you all know how it goes! If anyone have anything else to say go for it!!!