Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with father

#1 tylr ยท 2013-01-17 20:05

My dad bought a old......i mean old 955 and now its in my barn keepin My good equip sittin out....

Replies33
  1. #1d9gdon2013-01-17 20:08

    What is the serial number? Is it a 955 12A?

  2. #2grandpa2013-01-17 20:22

    If my dad was still alive , I let him keep anything he wanted to in my barn. Gramps

  3. #3Hendrik2013-01-17 20:47

    So there is a question or are you just having a whinge? OK lets assume the question is how do I get Dad to move his rusty 955 out of the shed so I can put my nice shiny stuff back in there. Well, I don't know your situation. so can't comment too much but all I can really advise is that you talk to him straight up and tell him how feel about the situation. Is it worth getting into an argument about? Just put it on the table that the 955 is worth bugger all, whilst your equipment has a higher value and thus should be looked after more to a certain extend.

  4. #4bill onthehill2013-01-17 21:36

    I feel your pain. I have a little mini motorhome we have used twice in 2 years sitting in the barn while my backhoe is out in the snow. If I did not think I would get stuck in the cow poop I would put it in the barnyard overhang. Tough call.

  5. #5toddcat955L2013-01-18 07:46

    Grandpa, I agree with u 100%. Share a little space now, When there GONE u get it it all! But then its not as important to u.

  6. #6tctractors2013-01-18 15:18

    I would Love my Dad to put anything he wants in my barn, he could burn my stuff to make space. S.C. RIP 11-11-2005 at 11am tctractors. p.s. even if it was a JCB, I cannot stand em'

  7. #706Pete2013-01-18 16:39

    Try to encourage him to work on it and fix it up and make it a project for both of you. Then you will have a good loader and good memories later because when they are gone that little space in the barn won't even be thought of. I wish me and my father had done more projects like that but he has been gone now for three years and I still have every one of his Farmalls and spend too much time and money keeping them up but won't stop.

  8. #8grandpa2013-01-18 17:35

    Thats a problem for me too 06Pete. My dad's "stuff" will stay in my barn til they throw dirt in my face too!!!!!

  9. #9BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-20 00:55

    Its called rank has it privledge. Respect dad because when he and mom are gone you,ll know you,ve lost your 2 best friends on this earth. I miss both of mine so bad it still hurts and i,am a old man......... Jmo

  10. #10JGS Parts2013-01-20 01:25

    stop bitching about it and build another shed, if the gear is worth so much whats the cost of a shed

  11. #11Hendrik2013-01-20 04:39

    About 10k+

  12. #12stock2013-01-20 07:16

    My pap pass away 21 years tomorrow the 21st of Jan and he could have my shed to keep what ever he wanted in it were he still with us, and I believe every member of the family would be the same as me. I agree with JGS shut up or put up.............. better still restore it with him it would be a small payback for what he did for you..............

  13. #13JBGASH2013-01-20 07:26

    Enjoy whatever time you can with your Dad, make a joint project out of it and help him out with it will be worth it in the long run especially when he is gone. My dad left us early in my life so I am wishing I would have had the opportunity you have at present.

  14. #14tctractors2013-01-20 11:02

    JGS, and down, The correct answer to a simple issue, well said all of you, "Build a Bigger Shed" or a new one or at least post a few pic's of the CAT???

  15. #15JDDozerman2013-01-26 20:31

    Peculiar post here!??! But as someone who lost my Dad when I was in Elementary school, and my Mom passed away when I was in High School, :my2c worth is, don't sweat the small stuff, just be glad you still have a Dad. As the rest said, if you need more room, build another shed, I'm sure you're Dad appreciates you letting him use the space, and after all he, and your mother, did bring you into this world, it can't hurt to show some appreciation in return. Cheers, JD Dozerman

  16. #16BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-26 20:42

    Always for words of wisdom the wise man always truns to GODS word and the bible clearly says to honour thy father and mother. Just my way.

  17. #17toddcat955L2013-01-27 11:01

    JDDozerman, Excellent post, when I read it I had to think about my own situation with my father. We never had any interest that were the same, I would've really enjoyed it if my father had been interested in heavy equipment, we had a farm and I always thought it would be COOL to have a CRAWLER or HY-LIFT to have and work on the farm,but it was just not his thing. {EACH HIS OWN** SO to all who has a father that enjoys working and tinkering on tractors or equipment,I think your very lucky.If it means just giving a little space, come on --- small price to pay to make the old man HAPPY, and enjoy something U both like.

  18. #18RocksnRoses2013-01-27 17:46

    What we do not know here, is what the relationship between #1 tylr and his father is, whether they get along really well, or whether the relationship is strained. Unlike the majority of the posters here, I worked with my father on the family farm, into my early 30's and the relationship gradually deteriorated to the point where I had had enough and found myself in #1 tylr's position, there was a lot of my old man's gear in my shed. I got my tractor and shifted all of his gear back to his place and left it in his yard and then went on and started my own contracting business. As you can imagine, that went down like a lead balloon and I had very little to do with him until he died. To this day, I have no regrets. I can only assume that if #1 tylr got along well with his father, they should be able to work something out, but maybe this is not the case. RnR.

  19. #19Jim D2013-01-30 23:40

    RocksnRoses, I'm sorry to hear that story. My story is between RocksnRoses' and the rest of the posters's, my father was neither kind nor hard. What all these posts remind me of: I have a friend who has always been very hard on his two sons, now young adults. Just as my friend's father was very hard on him and his brothers. At his end, my friends father past away alone in a trailer a few states distant from his children. When ever my friend is hard on his boys when I am around, I say to him "When your old and living alone in a trailer in (another state), and I come to see you, I'm going say 'I told you so...' when I leave".

  20. #20BCOWANWHEELS2013-01-30 23:55

    my dad was ex army 101st airborne in ww2, he made me walk the chalk,taught me respect and for others and manners along with dicipline. at the time i thought boy he is tough on me and why ? other folk said boy your dad is a tough nut to crack i feel sorry for you... but then life comes on strong and everything my dad taught me i needed and the dicipline laid the foundation for me being self employed successifully since may of 78. he taught me the value if a hand shake and to look everyone straight in the eyes, always give respect even to those who do not deserve it as they might not have had a good example set for them to follow so it must be you ! also with what dad taught me I got accepted into the U.S.ARMYS special forces trainning program "OFF THE STREET" AFTER BEING INTERVIEWED BY THEM...... what a honour, I never told them about my dad and what he done from south africa to berlin being wounded, getting frozen feet on and on and never quitting. it truely was a honour to have him as my dad. he died while i was in SF school. he was going to come pin my jump wings on me 2 weeks after he died. dads have the job of tough love of they do there job and tough love is real love. jmo bob

  21. #21cat&komkid2013-02-07 14:07

    Seems strange that after 3 weeks and 21 replies, #1 tylr still hasn't responded, maybe he was just having a bitch.

  22. #22Jim D2013-02-07 23:32

    I don't mind if it was just a "bitch" by him. Seem like it is a good thing that he started the thread. BOCANWHEELS, bob, I envy you, what your father taught you; I was 35 years old before I learned to tell the truth, and look someone straight in the eyes... it was a long time learning, for me.

  23. #23toddcat955L2013-02-08 22:28

    Maybe #1 tylr just went ahead and built another building or shop in the last 3 weeks, and all is GOOD on the home front!!!!!

  24. #24grandpa2013-02-09 07:48

    At least you made it b4 the end!!! Good Job. Its something to be proud of.

  25. #25DMiller2013-02-09 11:14

    My Dad was abusive to me in my early years, according to my older brother who had to watch the incidents unfold, he was a controlled drinker until he retired when he fell into a bottle to never come out. Only saving grace was Mom died before too long with him there, we had to deal with him as he moved to a assisted living center and his odd, bad habits. Dad never had aspirations of farm or farm life or doing anything more than sitting drunk in a recliner retired and crapping himself, had seen it in his youth and had no intnention of returning, hated the thought of me going there but accepted it. He had been abusive, I watched him repay that to a higher power until he died and felt sorry for him, out of my family I believe I was the only one sorry to lose him.

  26. #26toddcat955L2013-02-09 18:36

    HELLO- #1 tylr, are you still out there? I've been curious as I'm sure we all have, what machine did your father buy? After all the replies to your {Thread**, I think we all may deserved to see a PIC of this machine that is taking up a little space in your life,and may be giving OLD POP a little enjoyment working on it . You said in your opening{Thread** it was a very old 955, is it a K or L or what. All these replies have let out some very personal feeling, that may be a good thing. Anyway was just wondering what machine this is all about!!!!

  27. #27tctractors2013-02-10 13:16

    This thread has turned out very humbling in all replies, I am happy that tylr started it also fairly happy that he has not replied, as its the sort of subject that runs and ends in so many differing ways, when my Father Died the Family were all around him, I stayed with him till ever bit of warmth had left his Body, when its bitter cold out working I put on his old Jacket, its mighty warm and keeps out the Blast well, in the pockets there is still all the bits and ends that he placed in them, shoe laces, stumpy pencil, little nuts and washers also bits of paper with his hand script on them, I get these oddments in my hand, look at them then place them back into the pocket they came from, I always seem to work harder with this jacket on my back, every time I worked with my Father it was a Nectar Day.

  28. #28grandpa2013-02-10 13:56

    I know exactly where your coming from here TC. My dads been dead 6 years now... I've kept his 99 Ford super duty locked up with the keys kept in my pocket. Every year I get it out and drive.... I can still smell him in there. Call us crazy... maybe, but we had fathers to look up too. Thanks for posting your view on the subject.

  29. #29oldtanker2013-02-10 16:41

    Would kinda like to know what happened. My dad was pretty hard on me growing up. By todays standards he was abusive. WWII Vet, served until 1971 on an artificial leg from WWII, retired at the highest enlisted grade when I was 16 with 31 years active duty. Butt kicked as needed, respect your elders, dress in decent clothing, want a car earn one. As a teen we did not get along. Seemed nothing was good enough for him. Get all B's and he would be mad cause the were not all A's. But I was man enough at 18 to marry a girl I got pregnant, raise a family of 6 kids with her, to serve 20 years in the Army and do a lot of things I always wanted to do. Never been arrested nor has any of my 6 kids. By the time dad passed in 88 we had a great relationship. When I started acting like a man dad treated me like a man. Sure even as an adult he held me to a higher standard but it was all good. I miss him every day. If he was still here about the only thing I would NOT let him have is my wife of 39 years......unless he kicked in a nice older D4 :beatsme........just kidding about the wife part ops. Were he still here he could have the whole shed! Rick

  30. #30Jim D2013-02-14 01:05

    Thanks for saying that, grandpa!

  31. #31Jim D2013-02-14 01:10

    tc, you are a poet. I wish i'd had a father like that.

  32. #32tctractors2013-02-14 02:23

    Jim D, my Father was a rough tough chap that came from the North East of the U.K. his Father was on the Jarrow March, so he was used to very hard times, he was always ready to help me and never as much as laid a hand on me unlike so many other peoples storys about their Father-Son situation, I did leave Home at 15yrs old though so when I was most trouble I was not under the same roof, but good to me he was always, like I am to my own Son. Grandpa, knows that the Truck his Father left him is worth the same as the Jacket my Father left me, "priceless" just my jacket needs no Gas??

  33. #33entasis2013-02-14 11:02

    my old man was complicated, a very intelligent but manic depressive alcoholic who was disowned by his own father when his mother died giving birth to him - he only drank on occasional binges, but when he did he hit it so hard we were terrified he'd end up dead and he came darn close on numerous occasions - tough for a kid to see he also worked his ass off to provide for his family and would throw around the football or pitch to you til it got dark if you needed some work on hitting the curve - even though he never had a dad he learned how to be one to us cigarettes got him a couple o' years back and I regret I didn't spend time with him before he died, 'cause even though he was a little hard to be around and we didn't share much common interest, it woulda been good for us both - my brother and he were close over their shared interest in horses (he was a trainer), and it meant a lot to both of 'em I agree with the posters that would give the old man the shed and especially the working together part