I need to put a new pump supply hose on a 953 track loader. It's a 21" long x 2" diameter hose that slips over a steel tube with a rib on the end. In this cold weather, it's not happening. I tried to put o-ring lube on the inside of the hose to help slip it on, but I only got about 3/4" to slide on. It needs about 3 inches over the tube. I wonder if I could put the hose (maybe a foot of it) in some boiling water or some hot oil to help? Any more ideas? Someone's had this problem before me. One end of the hose has a code 61 fitting on it to bolt up to the hydraulic pump. I'm thinking of building a horseshoe shaped driver that fits on the coupler so I can use a hammer to help it on.
I have done the boiling water trick before and it worked well although not on that particular hose but I think that is your best choice. Also keeping it in the warm truck before can only help.
Try putting it front of space heater to make it pliable, but don't put it to close or it will melt. That's a tuff hose even when it spring or summer. Good luck!! LIVE EVERYDAY AS IF WERE YOUR LAST !
Don, get some Cat hyd oil additive, that stuff is slipperyer than a politician. Warm up hose and put additive on pipe and inside hose. Later Bob
Yair . . . d9gdon In more eqitable climates I seem to remember a couple of borrowed hair-dryers helping with a recalcitrant hose . . . could be worth a try, particularly if you get it part way on with hot water or space heater pre-heat . . . yuh gotta be a brave man though LOL . . . Wives and daughters can put out a bit of heat. Best of luck with it and cheers.
Maybe this is a stupid question...but...are you trying to muscle it on the pipe with the pipe on the hydraulic pump? Down in the machine you can't get alot of leverage on it. I always pull the fitting off the pump, put it in the vice and push some serious weight on it then. If this is what you are trying already you must have a 3 steel braided hose or something that is designed for much higher pressure and you will be lucky if you ever get that one on. This must be suction hose so single braid, oil hose will do.
There are pipe wrap blankets for bending conduits - electricians and dry utility folks have em. Or Tin box with heat lamp - check often and aim for slow heat and/or Maybe a tailpipe expander ??
I got that bad boy on. Boiled some water and stuck it in there to soften it and had a friend to push while I pulled and it slipped right on. It got up to 59F today so nothing like yesterday. It was only a one wire suction hose, but it was tough yesterday. I put some Cat o-ring lube on the inside too. I tried a tailpipe expander but the one I had wasn't big enough. That was the easy part. Then I had to bolt the split flange up to the pump. That required 3 hands with 6 fingers each.