I recently bought a 2001 JCB 212S and having trouble with the Front Quick Hitch hydraulic rams that retract to remove the bucket. The left side fully retracts to release but the right side will not. It isn't seized in the hole as I am able to hammer it in approx 1/2 inch with a sledge while someone operates the hydraulic control but it will not retract any further no moatter how hard I hit it. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is broken inside the ram and is it difficult to remove the Quick Hitch to reair? Thanks
I'd guess that the seals have gone bad on the pistons that force the pins to extend or retract. I am not familiar with JCB quick hitch so I'm not sure about removal. I would think ot to be not that difficult though. I would assume it to be the same as removing a bucket if it were directly attached to the loader arms. That's not that difficult.
OUCH!! I was taught (rightly so) to not use excessive force unless it was the absolutely last option available. This instruction has served me well for many decades now. Have you tried (with the machine off) loosening the hydraulic fitting to the hydraulic pin ram and seeing if it moves without fluid pressure behind it? If it is stuck it could be rusty and need a good cleaning and new seals. It is a pretty straight forward double ended ram set up. Good Luck Dave
woodfirst, Did you ever find the solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same problem. The left pin moves, right doesn't. Even blew a line (they were chaffed) after revving it up. Replaced both lines, still no luck. The right pin does show signs of the previous owner hammering on it. I've resisted that for now. The pin also wasn't taking grease but I took the fitting off and cleaned it and it is now taking grease. I've owned the backhoe for a year and right side wasn't moving when I got it. Haven't worried about it until now as I would like to get a set of forks. I guess the next step is to try to remove the cylinder and put new seals in. Might be a little tricky as the bolt to disconnect the pin from the rod isn't accessible in the extended position.
Mine was seized up. I bet yours is too. Before you remove anything try this: Put loader control lever in float. While someone is holding the aux control lever open, hit with a pin roughly the same size and a sledge. You can rev up the engine for more asistance. You will be surpised how much resistance a seized pin holds. You can try heat on the hole as well but a large sledge with a pin should do the trick.
Thanks woodfirst. I took the sledge to it and got it free. One person to hold the aux lever open, one to swing the sledge and one to hold the improvised "pin basher". I had called the dealer to price out a seal kit for the ram, they wanted $86. I found it online for $8. In the end not needed. For those interested some pictures:
I have the same problem, but in the rear... the hydroclamps that are suppose to lock the swing stage from moving back and forth won't come "out". I wonder if they could be seized like yours.
hookedondiesel, The piston/rod on the front pins is pretty small, generating little hydraulic force. Which I suppose is on purpose to keep from having bent pins/plates. This makes it easy for them to get stuck if not greased regularly. I think on the back of the machine the hydraclamps have much larger force. I think it more likely to be a hydraulic flow issue. Have you verified there is no pressure in the hydraclamp circuit when you unlock them? The procedure to unlock the clamps is to put the lever in the unlock position, then move boom levers, from the manual: 3 Release the Clamps Lift knob B fully up to release the hydraclamps. 4 Loosen the Kingpost To loosen the kingpost on its rails, operate the boom up and down a few times. continued in next message as I can only attach 5 images...
Hookedondiesel, Mine had a similar uissue as well. The control rod (1a in the diagram) was flexing and not moving the actual lever that operates the hydraclamps to the fully open or closed position. To check reach under the back and move the lever fully open or closed manually by hand. Its an easy fix if this is the case. The lever gets stiff if not used frequently. Mine works fine now.
Thanks woodfirst,mine was stiff also but I took it apart and re-intalled it, the set screw was too tight. Now it operates freely, Greg, thanks for those pics, what I did was loosen the end screw on two rams, maybe air was in them, I finally got 3 of them to work, the last one seems "stuck" in there. I through some penetrating oil around the outside, may help. 3 out of 4 is allot better than none. Woodfirst, do you still have your machine, if so, what model is it.
Just an update on mine, that last ram finally let loose, all working now, I did notice a very little seepage on a small hose, will have to replace it before it goes.
Does anyone have the part number for the two banjo bolts that hold the hydraulic lines on the ram that retracts the pins ?
They don't show a separate part number for the bolt. The ports are 1/4" BSP. 629/80024 Hose (with banjo bolt) 400mm long 629/80035 Hose (with banjo bolt) 1100mm long Found this online: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10690 http://hydraulicmegastore.com/bsp-banjo-bolts.html I had no trouble getting hose ends made with the BSP banjo fitting at the local hydraulic shop, I didn't need bolts but perhaps your local hydraulic shop will carry them.