Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with JD440

Bmick · 2024-12-23 23:07

Hello all, I’m new here and have become the caretaker of a large collection of classic cars. On the property is an old John Deere 440 which ran maybe 5-10 years ago but has been sitting since that and I’d like to use it to clear and drag cars closer to the shop to clean so they can be sold or for me to fix. I have been around heavy equipment for a long time but never something this old and never had to resurrect one. I do lots of automotive work so I’m capable but just a little lost with where to start. Is it worth bringing back to life? It is a twin cylinder gas. Any known issues with these that should be addressed? Tank is rusty so that will be coming off to get cleaned and it will definitely need a carb. Does anyone have a go to website for parts? Sorry for the kinda dumb post but I hate getting into a project only to realize that I could have done some more research or gotten better info from people more knowledgeable and realized it wasn’t worth it. I would rather get this going but I can get another machine if I have to… I have lots of cars to trade with lol. Also have a ford backhoe that someone took the time to replace hoses on so I bet it runs. I’ll post about that when I get it cleared out around it better and if I need help figuring something out with. Thanks in advance and again sorry for the low IQ post

Replies4
  1. #1Shimmy12024-12-23 23:33

    Hope it's not stuck....

  2. #2JaredV2024-12-24 00:48

    It's the same engine as the 430 and maybe 420 farm tractors so you shouldn't have any trouble finding stuff for it.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-12-24 02:47

    It doesn't look very promising. I think see if it will turn over. If not probably best to not to throw any time or money at it. Looks like someone else started taking things apart and gave up on it.

  4. #456wrench2024-12-24 10:08

    My brother has restored a couple of those but if the engine is stuck, then it will start to get costly. Then, if it runs, the main clutch and the steering clutches may also be stuck. I’d tackle it but thats just how i roll