Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with Komatsu D20 bevel gear seal

forindooruseonly · 2026-09-24 10:03

Hello, new guy in need of some help. I have a friend who is trying to replace the bevel gear/shaft seal on another person's Komatsu D20A-6. He isn't good with computers so he asked me to see what I could find. How do you remove the flange(?) piece between the nut and the seal? It's between part 7 and 14 on the parts schematic. I've attached the photos he sent and drawn an arrow on the part in the diagram. I am not a mechanic, so forgive any stupid questions and I hope this is enough information. Thank you in advance.

Replies9
  1. #1Dave Neubert2026-09-24 11:12

    it is pressed on rig a cross bar and porta power and press off. I have beat the snot out of one on a cat but don't recommend that

  2. #2forindooruseonly2026-09-24 12:27

    Thank you! I will forward that information to him.

  3. #3John C.2026-09-24 13:56

    It takes a special press jig to even be able to fit in there. Probably take 15 or twenty tons of pulling force to get it to release from the cross shaft.

  4. #4forindooruseonly2026-09-24 14:26

    Ah. Do you have a link or photo of the press jig? Is it possible to DIY a jig?

  5. #5Dave Neubert2026-09-24 15:43

    it is supposed to be pressed back on to

  6. #6D5Dan2026-09-24 21:35

    Forindooruseonly- I’ve never done the job myself, and maybe another HEF member knows/remembers a previous thread where someone has completed such a job; but essentially that piece needs a multi-ton puller/press to make that flange separate As one example (not recommending this one specifically) but this type of tool you’ll need: https://www.northerntool.com/products/esco-stak-able-hydraulic-ram-kit-10-ton-capacity-model-10316-115247 Ideally you’ll find the exact procedure documented by Komatsu specifying the tonnage required to remove/install the flange. As you’ll see from Northern Tools site, there are varying tonnage and size puller/presses one can buy. Wish you guys the best in getting the ole girl moving again!

  7. #7Dave Neubert2026-09-25 08:29

    there is a youtube video i saw on it he made a puller with a cross bar and a short jacing screw

  8. #8forindooruseonly2026-09-25 08:53

    Thanks guys - I'll let him know and look for the youtube video. Appreciate the help! I found a copy of the actual repair manual and will print out the relevant sections for him. It's been leaking for a long time, but recently it's gotten to the point where you can't even run it for fear of running out of fluid, not to mention the cost and mess of good fluid just going straight to the floor. It has to be done.

  9. #9Dave Neubert2026-09-25 09:53

    he better check the bevel gear bearings wile in there