Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with old Cat Blade ID 71D574 and starter on engine.

LOFAYTX ยท 2020-07-11 12:34

I need help with ID of this old Cat Blade. The only tag I could find was at the front of machine with number 71D574. Is this a Cat #12 Blade? I know it has an 6 cylinder diesel engine. Were they originally pony start? This one has a 24 volt Bendix starter with 12 v dc alternator conversion. Does someone make a 12 volt gear reduction starter that will work?

Replies5
  1. #1Old Magnet2020-07-11 14:08

    71D574 is a 1958 #12 Grader with 6-cyl D318 engine. 71D's are factory Direct Electric Start. (70D's are pony start). To my knowledge no one makes a RH helical drive gear to mate a gear reduction starter.

  2. #2LOFAYTX2020-07-11 15:24

    Do they make a newer style starter direct drive that would work?

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-07-11 16:56

    Yes they do. A conversion starter based on the Delco 40, 42 or 50MT lever type starter with direct mount solenoid. Requires changing the drive end housing, a helical drive gear and having the preferred lever housing.

  4. #4LOFAYTX2020-07-11 17:10

    So you use part of the old and new starter to make it work? I am confused on the helical drive gear. Is this the gear that engages with the flywheel?

  5. #5Old Magnet2020-07-11 20:03

    Yes, that's the drive gear. The early cat's used the same flywheel ring gear for direct electric start as the pony version. Later units have straight cut teeth.