Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with pricing on a Cat 262C

RandyAB ยท 2012-11-25 23:44

I'm thinking about buying a Cat 262C for use on my heavily forested acreage. I want it for land/brush clearing and general landscaping. I am in contact with the dealer in Edmonton Alberta who quotes me a cash price of $51900 +5% GST for a loaded machine (standard flow hydraulics) including a standard 72" bucket. Can anybody comment on the deal that he is offering or should I shop around to other Finning dealers? Thanks!

Replies23
  1. #1KSSS2012-11-26 01:30

    That seems like a lot for a wheeled machine without high flow. Does loaded mean it has AMICS?

  2. #2RandyAB2012-11-26 09:41

    Thanks KSSS. It does have AMICS yes as well as all the other options (performance 4 package). The only thing I would have to add would be the Hi Flo ($3800 option), also upgraded HD sump and thicker glass for mulching applications.

  3. #3Digdeep2012-11-26 10:08

    It sounds like you're already quoting at a Finning store. If so, I would be shocked if another location quoted to you. Most dealerships and salesmen have specific territories that they can sell inside of. If a customer is outside of their area they will pass the sales lead on to the salesman that covers the customer's area.

  4. #4durallymax2012-11-26 10:46

    CAT is a territiorial company. Thry have been basically since the beginning. Many other conpanies are moving to this format. Deere is a major one, Bobcat has a similar setupas well. Cat is the strictest and most organized in this matter though due to the amount of time they have had to perfect it. What does this mean for you? Faster more readily available parts, used machines, and the other perks a large dealet with too mucg money can throw your way. However there is a downside, no price competition. You can haggle them on pricing but you wont be able to have dealers compete to sell you the same new machine. You can throw out the other brands prices and work them down a bit. This id the way that the company can save money and provide better service in other ways. They are vertically intergrated into every aspect of it versus just selling meachines to dealers and letting them cut each others throats on pricing. That price sounds ridiculously high. Is this for a series 2 machine? We just traded our 262c for a 262c2 spec'd the same as the one your pricing. KSSS , AMICS isn't too expensive. IIRC it was $600-700 last I checked. I guess for what it does that seems high but I wouldnt wabt one without it.

  5. #5RandyAB2012-11-26 14:51

    Thanks for the info fellas. Durallymax, yes it is a new series 2 machine. What would be considered a fair price for the machine in Canada or the US? The quote I received had MSRP at about $60K so the apparent "discount" was over 10% off list. I do have a bit of wiggle room because the machine is for a seasonal property in another province. I really have 2 "local" dealers although in BC I'd have to pay 7% provincial tax that I wouldn't have to pay here in Alberta.

  6. #6KSSS2012-11-26 16:57

    I would not want it without the AMICS either but with others you get AMICS type functionality standard. I paid about the same amount for my CTL completely loaded with the high performance high flow. I would suggest getting some quotes for competetive machines. If you really want a CAT at least use it to get Finnning back into reality. You might find you can get a lot more machine for a lot less money.

  7. #7RandyAB2012-11-26 17:45

    Thanks KSSS. Can I ask what dealer you use in Idaho? I'm just north of you in Alberta and perhaps I could convince them to sell me one. I am currently collecting quotes from Bobcat and New Holland as well.

  8. #8KSSS2012-11-26 18:34

    The CAT dealer is Western States CAT. The CASE/Takeuchi dealer is Pioneer Equipment. Both of these are in Idaho Falls. I have salesman's contact info. If you want that PM me and I will give it to you.

  9. #9RandyAB2012-11-26 21:19

    Thanks KSSS. I don't think I will need those numbers after all. I called a few dealers in Washington and Oregon and the pricing is actually the same as here in Alberta. They also were universal in their denial to sell out of their designated monopoly zone. I'm actually looking at the Kubota SVL-90 right now.......sweet machine!

  10. #10Landclearer2012-11-26 21:57

    We have a Kubota SVL 90, great machine, I think you will like it. Does real good with a mulched head also. Chris

  11. #11Digdeep2012-11-26 22:22

    Make sure you clean out the area around your lift cylinders thoroughly and often. I know of a guy whos broken his lift cylinders a couple time s because there is now where for the debris to go when it builds up between the frame and the cylinder. He brush cuts with his maintaining deer hunting properties. He also hates the fact that there is only heater/AC vents on one side of the machine, and the fact that the hydraulic sight gauge can't be seen when you are putting hydro in the tank

  12. #12RandyAB2012-11-27 00:19

    What kind of mulching head are you using Chris?

  13. #13dave esterns2012-11-27 00:25

    the neighbor just bought a brand new s205 bobcat with most of the options for 27k

  14. #14Landclearer2012-11-27 06:05

    Randy, the head we are running is a Bradco. It is built good and recovers fast but I think we would look at a Fecon if we bought a new one. We have a Fecon on our big machine and some of the things that the Fecon has and the Bradco don't are pretty important. The Fecon has counter combs which helps shred the material better and on our Fecon you can run different types of teeth including chippers which increase production and make a better product. Digdeep is right, you have to keep the chips out from under the hydraulics. We have to do the same thing on the big one also. Chris

  15. #15RandyAB2012-11-27 22:01

    Thanks Chris. I think I'll go with a Fecon as well. Is there a problem with the Kubota in particular that makes it susceptible to having the hydraulics jam up from brush? What do other manufacturers do differently?

  16. #16ditch digger2012-11-27 22:17

    Just picked up a Cat 262C from Altofer Cat Cedar Rapids IA , 2010 year 850 Hrs, loaded - radio, $30,800.00, full cat warrenty till 06 01 2013. out of rental.

  17. #17Landclearer2012-11-28 05:56

    Randy, No there is nothing that Kubota did wrong, I think it happens on pretty much all machines. The mulcher throws the chips toward the machine and the can build up. If you keep it clean you have no problem. I have seen a hyd on a Tigercat mulcher break because of a lazy operator that did not keep the wood chips cleaned out. A big advantage in my opinion for the Kubota is the vertical radiator instead of the Cat design. You do not get all of the debris buildup like on the Cats. Chris

  18. #18mulcherguy2012-11-28 18:39

    Just a thought regarding mulchers mounted on skidsteers. If your main purpose of buying a skidsteer is to use it to mulch trees it may be worthwhile to consider a purpose built mulcher. The best thing to do would be to set up a demo where you could try a skidsteer with mulcher attachment and also try a purpose built mulcher. If your clearing work consists low density of 2 or 3 inch trees a skidsteer may work out. If it is willows and thick stringy material then you may find a hydro axe style cutter head to be more efficient. The reason I say this is over the years I have seen numerous cases where a person has over estimated the production and reliability of a skidsteer/mulching head attachment. They were never really designed to work in forest conditions or handle the power demand of a hydraulic mulcher head. If your looking for an inexpensive machine (for mainly work in the bush) you might also consider a used Rayco C87FM/ C140FM with a blade, or C87L, C100L if you need the loader function. A dedicated closed loop circuit and sufficiently sized hyd coolers are a must for efficient mulching performance in my opinion. Fecon and Primetech also have compact mulchers available in your province. Another bonus is the Oilfield work you can get with a good mulcher in AB. Anyway you may require the versatility of a skidsteer more than the mulching performance of a mulcher, but I thought I would mention it.

  19. #19RandyAB2012-11-28 22:55

    Thanks Mulcherguy. I need the skid steer more because while I want to do mulching, I need a machine for general purpose work around the acreage as well. I figure I have about 20 acres of underbrush to clear to get the property to where I want it and then after that it will be only maintenance work and snow removal.

  20. #20mulcherguy2012-11-29 11:07

    Yes I just wanted to throw that option out there in case you were looking for a machine that would be primarily used for mulching. You probably already know that the forces and potential pressure spikes involved with mulching require proper set up of the hydraulics. I have been involved in the repair of numerous skidsteers used for mulching and it can get really expensive. I had a brand new one come in with every pump, motor and valve contaminated with metal. The dealer had not provided a large enough hose on the case drain and that led to a chain reaction failure. He was a young guy who trusted a dealer that had no experience with this application. The dealer refused to warranty the machine and claimed abuse due to one of the teeth being chipped! That said, you may wish to have whoever sells you the skidsteer also install the head and warranty the complete package together. It is also good to discuss the exact meaning of "abuse". Also regarding debris accumulation each machine have little traps that collect twigs and sticks. When you choose which machine you are going to buy, seek out other owners of the same machine for tips on shields and guarding. Ive seen some great low cost setups that prevent snow, needles and sticks from collecting in places you can't see from your seat. Best of luck and enjoy your new skidsteer !

  21. #21RandyAB2012-11-29 14:54

    Thanks again Mulcherguy for the great info and tips. I definitely will have the dealer install the head when I get it. Take care.

  22. #22mulcherguy2012-11-29 15:19

    No problem my fellow Albertan friend ! I live in Ontario now and miss the mulching biz out there (as you may be able to guess). Post some pictures when you get it up and running! Rob

  23. #23RandyAB2012-11-29 15:49

    Funny thing Rob is that I was born and raised in Ontario and moved to Alberta. I prefer Alberta All the best my friend. I'll post pics of what I buy.