Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with removing flex pin from bucket

eRay ยท 2008-07-14 14:37

Just a quick question for all you professional backhoe people. I am trying to change my first series 23 tooth on a backhoe bucket. I tried using a punch and a 20 ounce ball peen hammer and only suceeded in breaking the punch off. I next bought a "pinmaster" offset flex pin punch designed for this on eBay and tried it again. No matter how hard I pound I can't seem to get the pin to move. Do I need to try and drill out the rubber between the metal sides of the pin, melt it with a torch, or get a small sledge hammer and pound it harder? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1RonG2008-07-14 15:28

    Sometimes you can drive out just one piece of the pin at a time.If it is worn the rubber will separate from the metal leaving you with more room to drive the rest of it out. Hit the tooth with a hammer to loosen it some will help too.Remember when you replace the keepers the little nubs..........I call them T*Ts...........T*Ts to the front!!Ron G

  2. #2HarrellBrawner2012-02-04 04:33

    The tooth rotates up[ clockwise ] if you are taking it off. The pin needs to be pushed away from the tooth. Once you find it you can change them like clockwork. Bruit force takes a back seat here.

  3. #3caterpillarmech2012-02-05 09:25

    A drill will work with a small long bit. Ron is right only one piece comes out at a time. A good quality line up punch and a three pound hammer will do the job.