We have all done it, used whatever means possible, however crude. Here is my leaky 680B outrigger cylinder. Couldn't get the gland loose so I welded a piece of heavy angle iron to it, then heated the tube red hot. She finally let loose, then I had to use the forklift to pull it apart, the rod was bent. Anyone else use primitive methods? Phil
How did it get bent in the first place?
Good question, they always seem to be bent down so pressure from the hoe bucket is probably the cause, I think. Maybe too much weight on it. As you can see, all the new hydraulic oil I put in this machine got mixed up with the old stuff, only takes a little. Got the gland cleaned up and put it in the lathe to polish the seal surface. Phil
You guys crack me up In one breath your talking about what comes to hand and making do, yet everyone of you has a lathe BTW, Good job :thumbsup
I've dropped large rocks and they always seem to land on the outrigger cylinder rods. I pucker everytime thinking it's bent. Hmm... maybe thats why the right side is so slow...
nothing like a 8' cheater bar to get the job done!
There's no substitute for brute force . My 1" drive Williams bar finally died the other day. The handle had been shortened a few times after bending and breaking over the years. Found a piece of 1 1/4" shaft and welded it on the top. Got lucky, must be good stuff because we got 8' of leverage on it and it looks as good as new . Anyone got any modified tools out there? Phil
Ya I used a tap to pull out a stuck heat shield on my f-150 spark plug, those 5.4's are a pain to change plugs.
I have been working on a gland on the stabilizer of my 1971 Case 580CK. I thought it was jammed up when it turned a quarter turn and stopped, but it eventually came out with a 5' breaker on a custom spanner wrench.
When putting the gland back into the stabilizer cylinder it went in a few turns and then got very difficult to turn. I eventually had to weld my spanner wrench to the gland. And then use a 10' breaker bar. I got 3 turns from being done and the spanner wrench made from 3/8" thick steel bent. I'll post pictures soon.
Weapons of disassembly The spanner wrench was machined from 3" x .38" cold rolled steel. The gland nut was almost tightened when the "wrench" bent.
:beerchug: man overkill your ate up.:beerchug
continued tool destruction Oh man overkill, I burst out laughing seeing your last picture. Would save that one for the grandkids to see someday. I'm not sure what I would do at that point, however that mild steel plate will just not take that. I have a selection of shafts and rods from old cylinders that I weld on sometimes and they resist bending. I'd be tempted to see if you can get it back off, sometimes a thread file or even a needle file will clean up a bad spot on the gland thread. If you can get it back off you are still in the drivers seat so to speak. I've used STP motor treatment as a thread lube before. Phil
A lathe is just a good tool to have if you know how to use it. I have a collection of machine tools and have used all of them for fixing and repairing my machines as well as others. Its also a good reason to have heavy equiptment, so that you can move those machine tools around. When I get the chance to figure out the picture posting thing I will upload some pictures of stuff I have made. tim
Ah ... Mmm ... Ah ... Mmm ... Sometime's these things need to be done if you havent got the tooling etc. On a professional level you would be thrown off the property for trying these method's. Safety first is a very strong attitude on the mine, quarry and constructions sites here. No disrespect to you guys though .... Get er Done .... If the crown wont screw in with a 10' snipe then you have problems. Old 5.4 service truck was in the Ford dealer for a week after they snapped the plug's in the head! ..... NASTY .....
wow thats a heck of a cheater bar!!
Thats impresive for sure.I have a JD 310G,theres nothing to grab onto on the stabilizer cyls.Does anyone have the answer to these jd cyls
Do you mean that there is nowhere to attach a spanner / wrench to undo the end so you can strip it ?
yes that is what I mean,snap ring on end of rod guide,but it looks like it (snap ring)keeps the rod guide from going in farther!
what usually does it is a rock or cement gets in between cylinder and outrigger, when lowering or adjusting outrigger, the gap closes, and the shelby tubing will bend, not the ourigger. Been there, done that! The same Hoe had the swing cylinder caps welded all the way around when I bought it, the whole machine had welds all over...it was rough!. I had them ground off to repack the cylinders and guess what, they screwed right off...why would anyone weld them? Ross