Hey Guys, I am new here. Introduced myself in the newbie forum. I have a 2004 Case 650K Dozer. It has the new tracks that are self lubricating or whatever Case calls them. I have replaced all the rollers and both idlers. The tracks are still loose and I can not tighten them anymore. I have not worked on these that much, but I am a mechanic for a living. I have no problem fixing anything on the machine. I just wanted to ask what the best route is. Do I need to buy new tracks, or maybe get these rebuilt? Where is the best place to get tracks if I need new ones? I appreciate all your help. I am still new to the dozer scene. I have owned this dozer for 2 years. It has been a great machine for me. I have ben clearing my land and building myself a pond. I only use it for myself. I do need a Skunk detector though. LOL. Thanks in advance. Ray
Do the bushings have a great deal of wear? The links? Measure their dimensions against their intended dimensions for the wear. If not, it could be something else... The sprocket perhaps? I'm not sure about salt, but for dry track you can cut out a link and shorten the track that way. Salt should work that way too but it's a little more difficult because of the seals and the plunger.
The bushings are not too bad. They do show some wear though. My father in law used my dozer and broke a roller and did not know it. He keep using it and it chewed up the inside of the track some. It is really noisy now. I replaced the rollers, also the idler pully. I changed the sprockets maybe 40 hours ago. They still look good. I will get under there and measure the bushings and see what the manual says about the size they are supposed to be. I appreciate your help. I will keep in touch when I measure it. I am out of town right now. Hope to get home soon. I hope I can just cut a link out and use it for a while. That would be great. Ray Thank you for your help. I hope I can cut a
I think Huntoon was mainly asking you to measure the amount of stretch in the rails. You can measure over a number of pins from center to center and figure out pin/bushing wear. Compare your measurements with what new is supposed to be. I think you can find this info on the web or maybe the manual.
just a couple thoughts: how loose is the track? loose isn't always bad.... sometimes it's good. too tight a tracks, and you will get pre-mature wear. what is the track adjuster looking like? if you want a fix without cutting the chain, maybe you could add another carrier roller of raise the one you have... from Ritchie Specs, I see the pitch is 171mm... or D4 size. http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...ractor&make=Case&model=650K+LGP&modelid=90584 measure the pitch of the chain to see how much it has stretched.
Ok. I see what you are saying now. I am out of town at the moment, actually in Pakistan. I will be home in a week or so. I will measure it and see. My tracks are the Case extended life. Only problem with that is I have to change the sprockets again unless I go back with extended life chains. I really appreciate your help. I am pretty new to the undercarriage side of these dozers. I usually works on the engines and trans. Thanks and I will let you know what I find. Ray
It is not so loose that it will come off. I will measure it when I get home. Where it is right now is actually just about right. I was toying with the idea of adding another roller. I did not have any problems with the tracks until I changed the carrier (idler) rollers. Both were getting worn bad and when I got it back from my father in law, one was leaking oil. So I changed the both and that is when I could not seem to get any more adjustment. I appreciate your help and ideas. I will let you know what I find. Thanks. Ray
I'm curious about the difference in the sprockets? Anyway, if your chain is stretched it will quickly wear out your new sprockets. I would definitely try to stick with extended life tracks.
I am not real sure what the difference is. I was told by Quick Trax of Texas that extended life sprockets will only work with extended life chains. They gave me a good price on chains and sprockets. I will have to check with my Case dealer when I get home and see how much the extended life chains are. My shoes are still ok. I have heard about loggers around here welding extensions on their shoes. I am not sure about that. My shoes are still over 50% good. Yeah I hate to scrap the 650.00 sprockets. They only have about 40 hours on them. The Case tag is still visable. LOL. I appreciate the help. I am learning more about the track in one day than I have in 2 years. Ray
Your shoes or pads won't have any effect on this problem. Maybe I misunderstood your original post. You have both new sprockets AND NEW extended life chains? Meaning the entire track minus pads?
FYI, the reason, -if any-, for this is that bushings tend to be larger diameter on SALT track than on the dry/grease track... meaning that the radius on the tooth profile needs to be larger as well.
Sorry to kinda get off track. My shoes are ok at the moment. I changed the sprockets about 40 hours ago. They are still in great shape. I have not bought new chains yet. Trying to figure out if I actually need them right now. I will be home in a week or so and I will measure them then. If I need chains, I will probably price the Case extended life chains and compare that to the standard chains. Thanks a bunch for the help. I am defiantly in the right place.
Thanks Huntoon. Starting to make sense to me now. I appreciate your help.
No problem.....this sorta threw me off and got me wondering if you replaced the chains along with the sprockets. BTW, Quick Trax is a member here and is always very helpful with undercarriage questions.