Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Here is an average week at the job

typ4 ยท 2010-10-16 17:23

We just got the bucket cylinder back on the JD490d, took me 3 hours of dilligent scraping and filing to get the valve spool to go back in after debris damage. No big deal, yeah right, the 790e blows the stick cyl gland packing and it needs a bucket cyl rod anyway sooooo, off they come, drop at cyl shop The job owner picks up a 992D, at RB auction for 13k, to put a second shear on, looks nice, paint, but from a mechanics standpoint hammered dog doo, so I check it out for him, notice the pump bolts have been out recently, and it has a new gearcase breather????? So I tell my boss, "this thing is going to start spewing oil out of the pump drive box, I bet the pumps are bad and they dumped it", . I hit the nail on the head, owner comes over and asks us to work on it for him. boss ssays no prob ,that's what I am there for, so off come the pumps, haul to the shop. They did a quick diss while I waited and the shaft/bearing nut on one had backed off and was eating the seal, close to a catastrophic failure, but caught in time fixable. oh and some kids got onto the job and fired up the 790 with no cyls and made a hell of a mess, some secure site we have. So my part time job has tripled, no big but man this demo is hard on equipment. Thanks for letting a guy rant:usa

Replies4
  1. #1ddigger2010-10-17 11:34

    Job security! In todays market a good thing.

  2. #2powerjoke2010-10-17 13:05

    soooo....you're saying not to buy a deere? lol jk we all have weeks that go to hell on us, I had a crappy last week too must be a full moon Pj

  3. #3typ42010-10-19 10:01

    No the deeres are fine all these machines have 9k plus hours, still frustrating some days.

  4. #4jimrr2010-10-19 12:41

    Hey!, i feel better after reading your rant............... and i thot i was all alone.