Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Here is my project

rezdawg · 2018-12-03 11:37

Just picked up a couple of Ford 555 backhoes, one 555A and a 555B. The 555A runs and everything seems to work, although it's spewing fluid from a line on the transmission. Buckets are worn totally out as are several pins. The 555B has a blown head gasket, but everything else seems to be in great shape. This will be a learning experience for me getting these two rigs going again. Here is some pictures of the 555A, I haven't drug the 555B out of the weeds yet.

Replies9
  1. #1Cbait580b2018-12-03 12:52

    Awesome...I just got my 580b home yesterday. Tackling 2 projects .. Wow... You married???? LOL

  2. #2rezdawg2018-12-03 14:30

    Yes I am, to a very understanding wife lol. The guy that I bought these 555's from has a 580B in pieces if you ever need parts. May be a little too far to travel though

  3. #3jimg9842018-12-03 21:37

    i have some wiring diagrams I will share if needed,,, if any of metal tubings go bad, best to go with hyd hoses, if a person finds a replacement tubing hard to change going to solid a device to another without damaging,, it been there done that, 555AXL here strong machines

  4. #4Andy1845c2018-12-03 21:42

    Makes me smile to see an old well used piece of equipment get adopted by someone with the ambition to bring it back to life. I've got an old Austin Western Grader in about the same condition. Post lots of pictures!

  5. #5rezdawg2018-12-04 09:33

    Thanks, I will probably be needing them soon, biggest concern right now is the transmission spewing fluid. I got it from an older guy who said he replaced the Hydraulic hose going to the trans, and said he just didn't get it tight. I haven't had time to crawl up under it and look yet, and I am hoping it just needs a good tightening. I also have an injector leaking on the return side, hoping that's just a copper washer. I'm really more excited about getting the 555B home and replacing the head gasket on it and seeing how it runs.

  6. #6rezdawg2018-12-10 18:49

    Ok I worked on the 555a today and here’s what I’m up against. Got it running when I brought it home long enough to get it loaded on the trailer, and unloaded at home. Shortly after unloading it it shut off due to a clogged fuel line. It ran great while it was running. Today I unclogged the fuel line, installed a new filter and housing. Bled the lines some and and it fired up on ether ran for a minute and shut off. I can get it to fire a little off of juice but won’t run. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

  7. #7jimg9842018-12-10 22:21

    bleed air from filter 1st,, open line at the injector from manual lift pump, use the lever on lift pump until is air is removed, close line at pump, loosen lines at injectors, pump the lever some more, close all lines at injector except one, should try to run, may have to tighten line and crack open another one keep alternating opening other lines,, may have to go through this again also a return line off the injector must be working this line goes to the fuel tank,, can take cap of fuel tank and see a hole in the filler neck for return fuel coming in,, won't run if its not returning fuel, too much starting fluid can blow head gasket

  8. #8rezdawg2018-12-10 22:34

    Thanks for info, one question though; where is the manual lift pump? I bled the top of the filter housing, and was looking for a lever or something to pump fuel but never found anything. Our Komatsu Dozer has a plunger for when it needs bleeding. I didn’t look at the return line in the tank either, I will do that tomorrow afternoon

  9. #9jimg9842018-12-11 10:28

    FOLLOW THE LINE FROM THE FILTER TO INJ