Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hey, another new member!

CMRyan ยท 2014-09-09 12:35

Hey guys, thought I should introduce myself. My name is Ryan, I am a 3rd year student studying construction management at FIU and I'm here looking for any tips or advice for getting my foot in the door. I've been working at Home Depot for a few years now and that's actually what really sparked my interest in this industry. I do not have any direct construction experience, however. Anyone have any experience in the PM or CM fields, with advice on where I should start? What kind of job would I be qualified/should I look for? I'm sure I can land a job working as a laborer for a sub, but I want experience in management of all construction aspects and I don't know where to begin looking for something like that. Any advice, or redirection of my inquiry would be greatly appreciated

Replies4
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-09-09 14:03

    95% of our project managers are hired as summer interns while still in school. They usually come in as field engineers, occasionally as a intern in contract management, or other related chores. After graduation we normally make an offer to the keepers starting out as a field engineer, growing into project management, senior project managers, group manager, Vice President, chairman of the board and then retirement. Of course not all make it that far. Unless you are looking for quick college money I see no advantage working as a laborer at this time in your schooling. That should have been done early on. Getting some practical experience in management in the field is much more important at this stage of your schooling in my humble opinion

  2. #2CMRyan2014-09-09 14:12

    Thank you so much for the reply! Are they hired year round, are they strictly full-time positions, and are they ever paid?

  3. #3CM19952014-09-09 19:31

    Welcome to the Forums CMRyan!:drinkup Old iron habit gave some good advice. Does your university have a co-op program? If so this is the best way to get into the field, interning while you study. I agree that working as a laborer at this stage isn't the best route, although you can learn a lot from it if you keep your eyes and ears open. Through an internship, the company gets to know you and you get to know the company to see if it's a good fit before graduation.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2014-09-09 21:59

    Typically we get them as summer interns working full time while they are on college break and yes, they are always paid.