Hi everyone! I am a Marine Engineer in the Merchant Navy (no guns) and I work on a Polar Research and Supply Vessel. I do everything from fixing the toilets, & making water to looking after the Main Engines (Wartsila's). I've always been into machinery and have had a few different track machines and trucks, but currently include a Bombardier Muskeg for logging etc, a Peterbilt 351 with Detroit Silver92, a tri-axle stepframe (awaiting lots of welding, although have the steel ready), 2 tucker sno-cats, Ford 8630, and a few Russian/East block trucks. Gosh, there suddenly seem to be a lot when I type a list! They're not all mint though, some very far from it. I have two young kids and the 3.5 year old insists on sitting in/on whatever machine I'm using, recently upgraded forklifts to an old Linde h30 as no brakes/pas wasn't too risky until he started getting in the way! Hope everyone is having a good festive season, although I'm stuck on a boat until late Jan. Regards longstroke
Thanks for joining us!
Welcome to the Forums! :drinkup
My grandfather, who was responsible for my early mechanical education, was a retired chief engineer in the merchant marine (US version of merchant navy). He definitely capable of doing a lot of things, he went to sea in the mid 1920's, before you could call for help reliably. I go to sea a few times a year on a 1927 tugboat, but she was repowered with diesel in 1947. Welcome to the forums.