Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi Guys!

Muffler Bearing · 2023-12-11 14:43

Over a year ago I signed off because I was going light duty. So I still fix diesel's only they are in Fords and Dodges instead of CASE and Freightliners. I really miss HD, every time I hear the purr of a jake go by outside I miss it. I think I'll probably just do light duty while my kids go to school up the road. BUT. I just started a weekend gig at a little ski area so I can maintain a pair of snowcats over the winter. So... I'm back in the HE world! Auto mechanics are SO weird! not like you people, I miss the heavy duty mechanic brain most of all.

Replies8
  1. #1Mike L2023-12-11 18:31

    Howdy. Welcome back. It takes a special kind of person who likes a specific abuse to work on diesel pickups.

  2. #2Muffler Bearing2023-12-12 09:46

    LOL I really appreciate that. Yeah I stand on a bench and lean way out and remembering how the access was on a loader or a truck. I even liked skid steers compared to a pick up with an extra bumper. Are you still a field tech in that truck?

  3. #3Mike L2023-12-12 17:13

    I am. Relocated to east Texas and actually just bought a newer kenworth service truck and will have the one in the picture up for sale next month.

  4. #4crane operator2023-12-12 19:21

    Good to have you back Muffler Bearing. Ask Mike L how hot it was in east texas this summer..... On the flip side, its not snowing in east Texas yet.

  5. #5Mike L2023-12-12 19:34

    It was so hot I didn’t resist my wife putting her cold feet on me. I’m still trying to cool down from July.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-12-12 21:11

    Nothing like walking up tilting a hood and seeing large bolts you can identify with.

  7. #7Muffler Bearing2023-12-14 10:08

    well, that was short lived. The 21 yo golfcart mechanic at this little ski area doesn't want to loosen his grip on the snowcat maintenance. I guess his confidence will get them further than my "experience" and "the laws of physics." Bummer, I definitely feel like I'm an outsider in the automotive world. Very glad I learned HD first. I really think of this as resting myself for another round. But you guys keep going without a rest. I fix an Xcel fleet of pickups, but they sent the service truck from Freightliner out to do a DOT on one. The tech showed up in the service truck I used to drive. I was like " I was once you."

  8. #8Mike L2023-12-17 17:46

    You can be that guy again. Buy my kenworth at a price so low it can’t be advertised of HEF and be your own boss! Sleepless nights and the possibility of an ulcer at no extra cost!