Hi guys... this is a really cool place! I'm a huge snowmobile fan so I frequent this types of sites frequently! Awesome that such support resources like this exist! Anyways, just bought this D3G with 4200hrs, I noticed that the grease line that runs down to the back lower right arm wa broken... I removed the line and added a nipple directly to the shoulder and with a hand grease gun I can not budge a drop in this pin... How big of a problem will this cost me? Any advise would be great! Oh ya... I ride an Arctic Cat, so at the end of my posts I sign out saying Go-Cat-Go! I guess I can do that here also...LOL GO-CAT-GO
hi take the grease fitting out and run a drill bit that just fits in the hole into the pin to make sure there is not old hard grease in it. it works most of time for me.
Thanks for the tip... I ran a sharp screw driver in the hole and the grease is soft inside? This main arm joint looks like it had not been greased for sometime... Anyone else got any experience with this??? Hoping I don't have to have this disassembled??? Thanks for any info Cube!
Fairly common problem if the bushing moves/rotates.
Thanks Oldmagnet... everything appears to function fine... should I throw some heat to it or is there another method to free up this joint to bleed grease into it again??? Thanks for the replies!
Pull the pin and I think you will find that the grease runs in a groove around the backside of the bushing to several small holes that let it to the pin and I bet holes and groove are pluged with drided grease.What I did was take a cut off disk on a die grinder and cut a slot in the bushing to make a path to the pin ,heat will do it but I think you will still have to pull the pin and heat the bushing along the grease path and burn up the seals (if they are still there) Hope this helps.O yea Welcome !!
Couple options: Sometimes taking the weight off the pin, or moving it while holding pressure on a grease gun will pop it loose. Porta power hooked with adapters to 1/8" npt or whatever your thread is should work if anything will. Remove the zerk and drill through the bushing with a sharpened carbide bit and just into the pin. Remove the pin and heat the bushing from the inside. Let us know how you get it fixed.
One thing's for sure - doing nothing and hoping the issue will go away is NOT an option. Heat, a porta power, etc, + combinations of all of them are all tried & trusted methods of getting a reluctant fitting to take grease. If all else fails pull it apart.
Get yourself a grease fitting (Zerk fitting) cleaning tool such as Northern Tool Item# 403100. It uses hammer impact to force oil through the zerk to open it up. Sure beats having to manhandle a cylinder. Heat is not good for bushings. Bob
Great info... Thanks and this is a great site, you guys are class acts:thumbsup Thanks again, not sure now about just throwing heat at it without some proper technique not to destroy the bushing? I will keep you all posted, got my farmer niebour coming tomorrow.:drinkup Awesome info... You guys are extremly helpful just like on Hardcore Sledder ointlaugh Cube!
Copy That!
We're not talking about turning the whole thing red/white with heat, I use a small plumbers propane or mapp gas torch, just warm up the zerk and area around it, you don't even burn or discolor the paint, and most of the time it works like a charm, I've got an air powered bulk grease unit so the porto-power wont put any more pressure than it will, and the hammer type zerk cleaners normally blow themselves apart or blow the o-rings out of them on about the second good whack and your just out the $50 or whatever they cost nowadays. There's a spring loaded ball in the tip of the zerk to keep the grease from dripping out, so you cannot run a drill bit in the end of them. if all else fails just replace the $.02 zerk lol. Pj
I put up some pictures of the stubbron joint... Sorry for not cleaning away the refused grease!LOL I have our local Johndeere mobile unit coming out end of this week and my farmer friend tomorrow, we will try to peice the information you all provided to me here on line and hope to clear this puppy out and get to WORK!!! You are all awesome...Yeeehaaaa! Great site Cube