Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi, newbie here

blacky705 · 2024-02-07 09:21

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a used skid steer for personal use on our property to build a couple homes and shop. Will also use it for snow removal wether it's a blower or blade. I'm looking at track machine, from what I'm reading they are more comfortable to drive but also I got the impression that the carriage system doesn't last long in hours 2-3K and need replacement also can be an expensive repair. I'm looking for something with minimum 2500lbs lift capacity. Am I better off with a wheeled machine? Tia

Replies8
  1. #1CM19952024-02-07 10:11

    Welcome to the Forums B705! Glad to have you. Moved this thread over to the CTL forum from track loaders. Good luck!

  2. #2BC Placer gold2024-02-07 10:45

    Welcome from BC! In regards to snow removal a critical factor is: do you have slopes or steep grades? Do you get heavy wet snow? If so rubber tracks (regardless of tread pattern) will be ineffective/dangerous…. When sliding down the hill backwards there is zero control. Ask me how I know this lol! On these same hills our skid steer with chained rear tires will climb while still pushing snow. If you don’t have steep grades (guessing not depending on what part of Ontario you are in) then disregard the above! I know there are plenty of advocates for the pushing power of track machines; great on flat ground/or cold prairie type snow. Do you have muddy wet ground conditions? A wheeled skid is pretty Poor in those conditions. You are on the right track on looking at the large frame/heavy lifting machines (imho). More weight/power=much more production, overall a nicer experience for the operator.

  3. #3blacky7052024-02-07 11:41

    There could be lots of snow in the area, and it is hilly even the driveway. The ground there is sandy, great drainage. Thanks for your input, much appreciated

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-02-07 12:00

    Whatever you decide I think a skid steer can be a great all-round machine for personal/acreage type use. My only concern is the mention of sand, if loose ‘deep’ sand then tracks are way better. I have used our skid (Deere 270) to shift fine tailings sand….not great Perhaps rent a machine(s) for a day to test under your actual conditions. Would tell you a lot and not too expensive. We have other equipment for our operation (excavators, dozer etc)…but the skid steer is the one machine that gets year round use for a multitude of tasks on our small acreage. You can do a lot with a dig/cleanup bucket and a set of forks….

  5. #5blacky7052024-02-07 13:00

    Not sandy like a beach but not prime soil either if that makes sense. The ground is hard/firm my nephew was on the property and said that I would have no issues using a wheel skid steer there. He's operated all sorts of machines

  6. #6BC Placer gold2024-02-07 13:21

    Good info, that clarifies things. As far as wheeled skids go I prefer ‘long wheel-base’ smoother ride & more stability. I think most are now….may need to do multi point turns to reduce tearing up finished areas. We have old school hand/foot controls; but I would much prefer joystick controls. Perhaps you could save the cash & reduce maintenance requirements; doesn’t really seem like you would need a tracked machine.

  7. #7blacky7052024-02-07 13:29

    I've got my eye on a Gehl 7810E. Big wheel base for a smoother, stable ride and has huge lifting power.

  8. #8BC Placer gold2024-02-07 14:21

    Pretty impressive specs! Looked at one a few years back, I believe they have a pretty good reputation; others on here will likely have more knowledge.