Hows everyone fearing in this brutal heat? Me not so well. Just cant handle the heat like I use to.
Had 108 here last week, that's completely unheard of out here. Thank god for high ambient cooling on our 312, she wasn't liking the heat.
The heat definately takes all the bounce out of the curls.........er, scalp.:bouncegri I don't know what drives me more nuts, the heat when I get out of the truck(it's like a slap in the face), or listening to the engine fan kick in every two minutes while I'm going down the road. These newer trucks have obnoxiously loud fans.
Fans Jeff, They don't have to be newer trucks to have obnoxiously loud fans.... I drove a 90's Ford with a Cat 3406 in it for several years and the fan would make me jump every time it kicked in - I never did get used to the damn thing... seems like they could put on a smaller fan and just run it more, rather than having that huge helicopter sized prop with the on/off fan clutch on it... I had a friend who took his fan off and mounted a couple of small electric fans in it's place - that was a mistake, though... it was quiet, but the engine overheated all the time, and he ended up putting the original fan back on it. srs/mn
I agree that those fans can startle you when they kick in but it is an indication that your belts are tight and can give you that warm and fuzzy feeling depending on your point of view,like if you own the darn thing.:yup I don't think that the shutters used that much more fuel or power when the shutters were closed and they were a lot quieter too.Ron G
Even though it slowed us down a bit and we stopped a little early the last few days, we were stil able to get a lot more work done then when it was raining. Supposed to get storms tonight as a cool, dry front comes through. Hopefully we can work tomorrow.
Was 110 on my job 2 weeks ago. Quite a shock to us.
well i hate the humidity the heat is ok if it's dry. I was loading and dumping stumps yesterday seams luike i picked the hotest day of the year to do it. no one was functioning here to well.
I almost miss the viscious clutch fans they used before. They may have used more fuel, and been less efficient, but the whole truck didn't shake when they finally engaged. My oil's been running almost 230 degrees, tranny 225, and the exhaust hardly drops below 850 running loaded at 70mph in this heat. Water never goes over 200 though.:thumbsup Ron, you don't see shutters very often anymore, do you?? I supose it's due to the air-to-air needing flow through it regardless of what the radiator temp is.
It was 106 here yesterday. I ended up getting heat stroke, I didn't feel it coming on soon enough. We quit at 1:00 yesterday, should have been sooner, and 2:00 today. I don't know if we got used to it or if the temp was lower, weather report said today was supposed to be worse than yesterday. It didn't bother us as bad today. We had a nasty thunderstorm roll through tonight at 6:00, now it's in the 70s. FINALLY!!!
Hope your doing ok now Steve. Temp is 69 right now. But when I go upstairs to bed it will still be in 80's up there. Got to get an air conditioneer.
Thanks Dave. It wasn't life threatening, but knocked the crap out of me. I did much better today, kept pumping fluids.
We have had 3 days over 70 so far this year. I think that is to hot.
The forestry guys on the island here are starting at 2:00AM and going till 10 and -12 because of the heat here... I dont find it a problem.. I just turn the A/C up.. but I can tell im starting to get a cold from the A/C now... :Banghead besides keeping the door closed and the A/C on keeps the dust out.. making the cab a much nicer place to be in :yup
The cab is great until you gotta jump out and run a shovel. I'm doing some utilites and I'm in and out of the machine all day. The heat really slaps you in the face. It's been cooler here the last couple days, finally got below 90 for daytime highs, been a real blessing. Supposed to be 103 by Tuesday of next week I hear, not looking forward to that.
I can get terrible allergy problems sometimes from the AC. If I haven't used it in a while, microbes or some kind of mold must grow in the duct work, and when I turn it on it blows right into my face. Head plugs up, sinuses run, and acts like a cold.:beatsme Thank God for Benadryl.:yup
you guys are really funny...
Glad to hear you weren't serisuoisly hurt with the heat stroke Steve. 64 degrees right now. Torrentail rain just stopped so I need to get out and get something done. :bouncegri
Steve, glad that you are OK. That heat stroke can really pack a punch. I felt it sneaking up on me yesterday too. Lots of water and sports drink. We've been quiting by 1:00 this week too. I decided that today was a good day to do estimates while I wait for the relief that you guys are getting to move down here.
By the time I realized I had a problem, it was too late. I drank a lot of Gatorade and it kept me from getting worse, but I couldn't reverse the efects I already had. I know it gets hot out there Ted, but do you see 90% humidity?? The air gets so thick you can hardly breath. We aren't at all accustomed to 100+ temps, mid 90s are usually where we peak. I'd be willing to bet you'd have a tough time at 30 degrees, that's a heat wave for us in January!
steve i want to apologize.. i didnt read the entire thread and now i feel horrible!:Banghead i hope everything is going well for you and you are feeling better!!! heat stroke is a serious matter and a concern for us out here everyday. gatorade is great stuff but nothing beats water. the key is too start drinking water first thing in the morning BEFORE you start working. when you start getting thirsty it is your body telling you you are way behind in hydration.again when you become thirsty it is sometimes too late. please accept my sincerest apologies!!!! on a lighter note how are our steelers going to hold up in the heat next week??? i can see the new cardinal stadium from my house.less than two miles away and cannot get tickets at any price. brand new stadium and the world champion STEELERS!!!!
by the way yes i struggle with 40 degree mornings here..
you could all come up here and put up with the rain and this weeks average 55 degrees. But I would bet non of you would get any work done as the fishing is great right now. Steve if you need a place to recover let me know.
We haven't had any rain in awhile but its not smoking hot either we did have the up to 36 degree celcius 97 Fahrenheit which is too damn hot for me I don't work in that kind of temperatures. I have had mild cases of heat stroke before its scared me so no more working in high temperatures.