Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

High-hour machines

Nige ยท 2016-04-25 04:07

A friend of mine sent me this which I think is worth a read if anyone is contemplating buying a machine with "high hours". So long as it has been well-maintained and the history is known there is no reason at all to be frightened by a machine with a large amount of hours on it.

Replies5
  1. #1caterpillarmech2016-04-25 06:05

    Love this post. Been all over facebook lately.

  2. #2Nige2016-04-25 08:40

    I was sent the article by a friend on Nevada. As I've said many times before before so long as the chassis is still in good order then everything else on the machine is either a bolt-on or a rebuildable component.

  3. #3seatwarmer2016-04-25 10:04

    Nige Question on the state of the chassis: Are any reliable methods to inspect it, like ultrasound or X-ray or is it the half black arts/experience type thing ?

  4. #4Nige2016-04-25 10:08

    No secret really, all it needs is a Mk 1 eyeball. You're looking for visible cracks at known high-stress points. Obviously when a machine is completely torn down for a full overhaul then the chassis is usually sandblasted back to bare metal but even then the crack inspection is usually of the visual variety.

  5. #5seatwarmer2016-04-25 10:29

    Thanks Nige. Interesting that in our high tech world the Mk 1 eyeball and gut feeling are still the best diagnostic tools :beatsme I wonder how much pride went into the build of this D10, everybody on the floor working on it.