Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

High Hour Used TK TL150 – What to look for?

Slagathor ยท 2014-09-05 00:32

I am looking at a Takeuchi TL150 with 3900 hours on it. It will be used on my own property....so light use...primarily maintaining Motocross tracks. For a high hour TL150...what danger signs and wear points should I worry about? Tracks - should have been replaced 2-3 times Wheels - perhaps replaced 1x Sprockets - Should have been replaced at least once.. Pivots - I have a machine shop...so I can fix this sort of stuff pretty easy. Pump and Drive motors? I have heard a few horrors about one going down...and metal shavings totaling the whole system... Engine...I have heard the Yanmar should be good for 6000+ hours if maintained properly. Blue or white smoke bad....Black not so bad. Any advice is appreciated...

Replies1
  1. #1pafarmer2014-09-05 08:32

    At 3900 hours the entire machine should be considered suspect. So much depends upon how it was maintained. If it was meticulously maintained, a 3900 hour machine isn't an issue however a poorly maintenance machine with those hours can be a nightmare....in all honesty I would take it to the nearest TAK dealer and have then go through it top to bottom including a complete fluids/hydro analysis and detail out what it needs and what the analysis shows. These fluid analysis show you more about the health of the machine than any other means. A couple of drive motors alone can set you back 5 to 6 grand. Things can add up very quickly on a skid steer when it comes to repairs..