Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

High Lifting Tailgates

RocksnRoses ยท 2008-10-18 23:57

I have noticed on some of the threads that the dump trucks shown have what look to be hydraulically operated tailgates to lift them clear of the body when dumping. We are having a semi tipper built which will be carting rock, demolition material and tree stumps and that system looks like it would be ideal for this sort of work. If there are any in Australia, I have not seen them, so does anyone here have pictures or information on this system and are there any problems with them? Thanks, Rn'R.

Replies18
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2008-10-19 03:17

    R&R I think this is what you are talking about http://www.clementind.com/Rock Trailer End Dumps/rocktrailerenddumps.htm http://www.reliancetrailer.com/EndDumps.aspx This is a link to a couple of the makers of that style end gate. I think they are pretty good for being able to dump large items without them hanging up. Of course, if its tooo big, they will still break. I had a Clement trailer, and it had the high lift, with a two way gate set up. You could change the pins around and make a barn door out of it for demolition work, or use it like a regular dump gate. A pretty good set up, I think.

  2. #2RocksnRoses2008-10-19 06:11

    Thanks JDOFMEMI, that is the style of tailgate I was talking about, and I see that it is air lift, not hydraulic, I just assumed from the pictures that it was. Rn'R.

  3. #3amscontr2008-10-25 12:04

    I think most with the high lift tailgates are air operated,for maint. and open/close reasons.

  4. #4OneWelder2008-10-25 12:47

    There is also a mechanical type that uses a about 6ft arm pivoted toward the middle, one end pinned to top of gate, other end is chained to truck frame via a beam sticking out from frame. Tail gate pins slide into tapered hooks to lock bottom. Raising body opens gate automatically - it also pushes gate out away from body allowing larger material threw it.- Lowering body shuts and locks gate I do not know the name as I have heard them refereed to as Rock Gates- High lift Gates- also Automatic Gates- and once somebody pushes on them with loader there refereed to by names we are not allowed to use here

  5. #5RocksnRoses2008-10-25 20:34

    Thank you for the replies everyone, we did think about a mechanical lifting tailgate originally, but we couldn't find much imformation on them and the air lift tailgates you have over there look like they would be ideal for our work. We will probably go hydraulic rather than air because we already have a diverter valve on the truck. I find with our air release tailgate rams the seals cut out fairly often with the dirt and then they leak air. I am not sure why, but high lifting tailgates are not used down here. Rn'R.

  6. #6OneWelder2008-10-25 22:12

    I do not know if they sell in your country - but i found a link http://www.beauroc.com/en/products/PARTS-INDEX/PARTS-TAILGATE.aspx

  7. #7Boophoenix2008-10-28 19:02

    Here's ya something to look at. And it's hydraulic. http://www.crysteel.com/pep_gate_saver.html

  8. #8amscontr2014-05-07 01:14

    We checked into that Crysteel Gate Saver it's about 2 grand and 5-6 week wait time for production and delivery. The dealers we talked to said you had to buy the complete kit, what a joke.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2014-05-08 11:07

    Just checking since it seems different things on different continents, but are you also aware that there is a style that swings open like a barn door sideways and pins back to the side of the body before dumping? There are a few drawbacks such as: objects can fall out and possibly injure driver, slower operation, difficult on a grade, have to have room to swing it, but the advantage is that no air or controls required and no rocks or stumps can hit and damage it as they fall out.

  10. #10RocksnRoses2014-05-09 07:18

    I had forgotten all about this thread, until amscontr revived it. After looking at the different designs that were posted here and some on Youtube, my engineer mate who was building the trailer for us, designed a hydraulic lifting tailgate for it. The tailgate works brilliantly and after carting thousands of tonnes of rocks, has suffered no damage at all from rocks tumbling down from the front of the trailer, when tipping. It is also ideal for carting demo, tree stumps, you name it. Even now, I have not seen a lifting tailgate here in this country, I guess there maybe one or two out there, but everyone who saw it, said 'what a brilliant idea', but no one does anything about it. So once again, thank you all for your input, it was very helpful. RnR.

  11. #11Cartoondude1352021-12-15 22:43

    You mean like these ones for example? If it is, then I'm stumped too. I'm currently working to solve the mystery of these high lift tailgates along with that tag axle spacing ratio seen on that dump truck with the red dump box. That's the axle spacing/configuration I see on dump trucks throughout Ontario.

  12. #12NepeanGC2021-12-16 17:26

    Ontario axle specifications are published in the laws. Look up SPIF regulations. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/050413 Old school lift axles aren't legal anymore though. Everything has to have a computer controlled self steering axle, or be twin steer.

  13. #13Cartoondude1352022-01-02 23:18

    Ok, I've got it! According to these: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4323279A/en and http://maxter-mp.com/products/automatic-elevating-tailgates/ it's called an "automatic elevating tailgate" . So can we say the case is closed? I suppose it makes sense as as the dump box raises, the tailgate opens automatically.

  14. #14PeterG2022-01-05 12:41

    I have highlift gates on both my trucks. In the US it's hard to find them except out here in the Pacific Northwest Seattle area. There is a very large Company called OSW Equipment and repair. Around here there are thousands of dump trucks, mostly now with OSW Dump boxes, and most have the highlift gate. Both my trucks do not have OSW dump boxes on them, but they will install them. Price is not cheap, expect to spend $6,500 or so. Bit it makes the trucks dump boxes to to be able to load and remove better. I can load with a smaller mini excavator, pick up pallets of material, and if needed when I haul Rockery, easily pick them out one by one. I also have ramps to get equipment in an out. Best money spent.

  15. #15Birken Vogt2022-01-05 12:47

    How do you secure that guillotine when driving the Dingo under it?

  16. #16PeterG2022-01-05 13:09

    Ah, you don't.... I once asked the OSW guys about that concern and thought they might have a way to install a locking pin or gate. They didn't see any need for that. The smaller truck gate seems to stay up for days, while the bigger truck does seem to seep down a bit after a few hours. These are air, and I have a lot of money and time fixing micro leaks on the truck. It's a good reminder, I should take a look at that again. Thanks. My new project is I'm installing a back up camera on the back of the gate near the top mostly too see when I'm backing the truck and trailer down dead end roads and tight locations. Here is a closer image shortly after the gate was installed. As you can see the truck has been painted. Of note - the truck box is as square as you can get making it easier for my job box, pallets of materials and equipment to be installed. The high lift gate goes up quite high. This truck is high sided which gives you more height when the gate is up which is what I wanted, but it's hard to load dirt from the side with a mini excavator without being up on the pile. My Takeuchi TB153Fr can load over the top, but when I use my TB016 and TB240 we load in from the rear with the gate open. We don't really do much hauling of wood and organic. Mostly dirt, gravel, rockery, and topsoil. , and need to run the wires down to the truck frame.

  17. #17PeterG2022-01-05 13:11

    FYI you can also just dump without the gate up.

  18. #18Cartoondude1352022-01-18 19:11

    https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.ctea.ca/r...EECBBBD/2019_Ontario_VWD_Public_Guidebook.pdf Ok, I found it! This explains why all the trucks' chassis, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed this way within the province/state.