Hey guys, just shipped a brand new C80 yesterday just to have the driver pull back in a few hours later. Ouch...at least he came back. Had this happen once before (although not near as spectacular) and driver didn't stop until he got to the destination about 15 hours away.
What is the weight and height of this piece? I can't imagine a driver going on, after doing some damage. He has to know that the game plan changes. Not to mention that he will likely be out of a job. I had to show a driver how to lower an excavator, one time. This was in the truck stop, after he had hit a bridge. He was an owner-operator, and his lease was promptly canceled.
sounds like they need to rout the transports.
The question is what kind of trailer was it on? And what Hwy. did it get hit on? There are many low bridges in Charlotte, NC, for example the Norfolf Southern Bridge on South Blvd., but all the bridges on the local highways are high enough. I'd like to see pics of the trailer, and bridge.
Oh Dear, Still got the factory sticker on it! $$$$ Somebody's XMASS Bounus has just gone up in smoke.
I've never seen a tilting cab on a grader before. Bet that makes ditching a lot easier.
Oh well, it was only a Champion..........
Cab I was thinking , Low Profile Cab ...................
Fix her up for me and I'll take her at half price! Actually, I'd probably be better off with having no cab on it... I have an old railway tunnel that I am clearing up, and a cabless grader would be very useful. Plus the height won't permit that baby to go in there full cab and all, but I suppose the 'tilt' cab will just lean out of the way of the arch in the roof.
Motor Grader, what will be done with that grader? will it be fixed up and sold at a reduced price as a certified machine or something of that nature? Do you produce a machine that is comparable in size to the old galion 503?
Tilted cab . HBM and Terex motorgraders have a tilted cab , actuated hydraulic .
Hbm ? Never heard of HBM, who makes them ?
100 mph bridge! Bryan On the same theme, this 16G was on a lowboy coming into Alaska years ago from Canada. The cab hit the Tok River Bridge not too far from the Border. Driver claimed he was only going 15 mph, I said then the bridge must have been going 100! Randy
HBM is a German Grader factory near Leipzig , the make a 200 to 300 graders a year , the make even the Terex graders , and for a short time graders for Bomag .
Now that is cool :notworthy
I don't quite understand the statement of continuing on for 15 hours down the road when you know you hit a bridge? There are legal issue's, drug tests, hit-and run penalties....geez. I ALWAYS keep a tape measure in the cab if I have to use the lowboy, dropdeck or flatbed. Crunching one from the factory is unforgivable. The drivers around here get the book thrown at them for those type offenses. 13 foot 6inches is the minumum bridge height in Michigan. There are a few back road exceptions, that are listed in all truck road atlas mags available at all truck stops in this state. To be blunt, not knowing your load height and hitting a bridge is stupid !
I agree. Here we put an escort in the form of either a small VW Golf, with like an areal on the front, but it is the maximum height of the load on the back of the truck, and if that thing gets caught on the bridges, or tunnels, then the truckers have to find an alternative route.
no exscuse for that PERIOD. a truck is over 100K a flabed trailer is 45K and a hight stick is $120 the machine has to be a 100K also. if that was my driver i would have drug him outta that cab and kicked his arse. atleast that looks like a relitively easy fix
So the comment about hitting the bridge and kept going was about a grader that hit a low bridge on its way from Charlotte to New Jersey. The damage was very small compared to these pictures. Didn't matter how slight the damage though, its ROPS and must be throughly inspected before releasing. Dealer called when they refused to accept it. So we turneed the driver around and brought it back to Charlotte. Stupid on his part b/c he hit the bridge while still in NC. So in this pic, the driver had a flatbed but it was lower than a normal flatbed. Was actually a odd height trailer. We say this: the truck drivers only have to know 3 things....is it chained down, where am I going, and how tall am I. Long story short, the trucking company's insurance will pay for damages and repairs. Not sure about his current status of employment. The grader actually checked out pretty damn good considering. Obviously the cab was a complete total. The frame checks perfect with exception of 3 of the cab mounts. They had to be replaced. Was being hauled backward so the rear cowl was spared. So in this case, its now good as new with no fear of failures due to the impact. I would have worried if everything was pushed down, but everything was linda pulled up and to the side. So no worries of final drive stress.
nice to meet you in this forum to Super Roel!!