Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Highway Department Truck

calhoonie ยท 2008-04-26 20:44

The highway department in my town has an older dump truck that is beyond repair. ointhead Last spring, the superintendent had an article in town meeting to replace it. Most of the town members didn't approve of purchasing a new truck. At the time, it would only cost the town around $30,000 because the state-aid (Chapter 90) would cover the remaining amount. The town set up a deal with a farm in town to rent a plow truck from November to April. This truck was costing the town around $20,000 for the winter. The problem with this is from April to November the town only has one heavy duty and one medium duty dump truck to do hauling work during sweeping and construction projects around town. This year, the superintendent has an article for the truck. However,this year the Chapter 90 money is not available so the town would have to pay $140,000 for the new truck. The question I have is, by thinking long-term, does it make sense to rent the plow truck?:beatsme Or does it make more sense to invest now and save down the road? I would appreciate the help.

Replies7
  1. #1cat3202008-04-26 21:19

    from what you just posted it would of been better to spend the $10K more and own it vs renting the other for the $20K if i was going to vote on spending the $140K right now and not be subsidised i would vote no.

  2. #2camara2008-04-27 06:59

    I agree with cat320. Unfortunately most towns and the related people in the town hall don't think about the future. My vote is NO!

  3. #3Raildudes dad2008-04-27 10:51

    If you can find someone willing to rent or lease a plow truck at a reasonable rate, that's the best way IMHO. I managed a county maintenance operation for 10 years. I had 85 single axle plow trucks to cover the territory in the winter (2500 miles of roadway) but only needed about 30 for summer work. It hurts the finances big time when over half your fleet sets idle from mid March to mid October. But when your in Michigan and get 75+ inches for snow plus the multiple freeze thaw cycles due to Lake Michigan, unfortunately it becomes a cost of doing business. We spec'd single axle since we have lots of residential neighborhoods. It would have been nice to have some tandems or tri's for the summer work but the "big boss" dictated "one size fits all". I had to agree, the idea that any truck and any driver can go on any snow run made some sense. Since every one is set up either with a tailgate sander of V-box for salt, winter is hard on them. We did set up a winter lease program for some 5 axle live bottoms with a local contractor, but it takes a contractor willing to put salt in his trucks. I told him, I was glad to lease his trucks, but if they were mine, I wouldn't lease them if salt was going in the box

  4. #4calhoonie2008-04-27 13:56

    Thanks guys. I agree that all of the people in town don't look down the road at long term costs! But renting does make sense for the situation we're in now. Its a shame that the town couldn't fix up the truck thats off the road (1986 Ford F-8000). Oh well. To me, $140,000 seems like a lot of money for a new single axle truck and a plow. Does this seem right to anyone?Tomorrow night is the town meeting so we'll see what happens. At least the other trucks and equipment in the fleet are in good shape for now!

  5. #5Raildudes dad2008-04-27 19:01

    That's about we have into a truck when we get all done getting a new one set up to go. Cab, chassis, with automatic tranny, full hydraulics, ground speed control, dump box, underbody plow (yeah, we're one of those places that plows snow with an underbody until it gets pretty deep), plow frame (used front plow), v-box or tailgate sander, lights and associated wiring. We build 4-6 a year in-house plus a 5 axle live bottom every other year (we now own 6)

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2008-04-27 20:53

    Truck I know someone has thought of this, but what about getting a truck from a state sale. In the past 3 years, I have bought 2 trucks that came from the state of Pa. One was a 93 Ford L9000, tandem, set up for plowing and salting. I paid around $6500 and put the truck to work the next day. The other was a International and it was a plow truck also. I bought 2 dump trucks from the state of NC, they were 93 Volvos, tandems, with snow plows, they cost about $5000 a piece and I still have one of them working now. Most cities can buy surplus equipment from state and federal agencies, sometimes they can get them free. If you look around, some of these trucks are good trucks, one Volvo had 48,000 miles, it had a weak injector. I fixed it for $300. Even if you had to pay the same price as I did, it would be a good deal and these trucks will last a long time. Just my 2 cents worth Good Luck

  7. #7Steve Frazier2008-04-27 22:04

    I work under contract to a local municipality for snow removal. We're paid by the hour and I provide the driver. The upside to the town is they don't pay any manpower expenses, I do and they don't have a man on payroll the whole year. You need to include the cost of the driver in your equation too to get total cost. A class 8 truck set up with plow, spreader and central hydraulics can easily cost what you quoted. My vote would to be to contract a truck for snow removal.