Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hiring a Hyoondee!

Squizzy246B ยท 2007-05-11 08:53

In the ongoing saga of the #*!!*%^:cussing contractor that beat my bid on this earthworks job and then only did half the job........ I need to get rid of some stumps in order to build more retaining walls. These stumps are of a tree called Wandoo...part of the Tuart family and indigenous to our Coastal sandhills. One of the densest (sp) production timbers in the world this tree goes at 1200 kg per cubic metre and it will take a chip out of a good axe in a tick. The trick with clearing this stuff is to understand a good size tree will usually have two tap roots....about 18" in diameter. You can rip around this tree with a 120 and eventually break the mass of roots but you will not get that sucker out. A dozer struggles to rip the roots because they are always in loose sand and you just spin the tracks. The best way is to rip around with a good sized Ex and then get yourself one of them keen ole cat skinners with a D8. If you did under the stump with an Ex then the D8 can get the corner of the blade under the stump and pop it out breaking the tap roots...bit like a cork out of a bottle. We had no such machinery, no time and only two green stumps. We landed this Hyundai 160...brand spanking new...not a scratch on it...well...for long anyway . I reckon the stick was big for this machine but I enjoyed the reach. It was very fast and responsive. Good but not exceptional power and comfortable to operate. It took 2 hours solid work to smash up just one of the stumps...not made easier by being fitted with triple (street) grousers. The "Big Hoofer" foot/travel pedals fitted my platforms great. This would be a good machine on a breaker...if there is such a thing

Replies35
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-05-11 08:57

    Some more pics

  2. #2Squizzy246B2007-05-11 10:26

    With hindsight...this thread may be better off under excavators as "Showtime" is actually under Transportation.

  3. #3garyhh442007-05-11 10:58

    Very good picks thanks for sharing.:usa

  4. #4equipment fan2007-05-11 17:51

    thanks for the pictures,nice excavator!So,does hyundai excavator are good machine?

  5. #5Squizzy246B2007-05-11 17:56

    G,day Equipment Fan. I don't really know how good Hyundai is overall, not enough experience with them really. This one was good to operate for a day. Sorry I can't add a whole lot but there is some guys here who run them day in, day out.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-05-11 20:10

    What are the green blocks under the fence in the last pic.......temporary fencing?

  7. #7jazak2007-05-11 21:32

    Yes, if you look closely on one of the pics it says "Rent a Fence" in lime green on the fence......

  8. #8Countryboy2007-05-11 22:47

    :duh I see it now that you pointed it out...... ointhead

  9. #9tylermckee2007-05-12 21:19

    we have the same machine, i would say its got close to as much power as any cat or hitachi 200 i have ran, when in the highest power mode. We have a 4,000lb breaker and it doesnt do to well but its a problem with the way the dealer plumbed it.

  10. #10LowBoy2007-05-13 08:19

    Hyoondi 4 Hire. Squizzy, I tried dialing that phone number on the side of your rented "ex" to get it for a day...but can't get through. Crikey...there's too many numbers come to think of it, mate. I'll try BR-549 and see if that'll work. Wonder how much trucking would be to Vermont? Prohibitive, most likely... ointhead

  11. #11Squizzy246B2007-05-13 08:59

    Country code is 61...see if that helps The float cost me $220 each way...I'd say you might need a long snorkel on your low loader ...and I'm not sure if there is blacktop all the way...BTW...which way are you intending on taking it....the Pacific or via Africa:beatsme :usa

  12. #12LowBoy2007-05-13 09:54

    Beats me, Squizz, which is the better road...Pacific or Africa???:beatsme I've actually been on Atlantic (in New York City area,) with my "float", but never been on Africa. Is it smooth or bumpy?:cool2 No poison darts to dodge, or boiling pots awaiting I hope...:drinkup

  13. #13Nick Drew2007-05-13 10:08

    Hy-un-Dri !! Hi Squizzy, I used to run a Hyundai Robex 130-3LC when I had my own business. I have to admit it was a very good machine all the time I was operating it myself but then I employed some of the hooligans who have no respect for machinery and she just couldn't take the stick. It just started to shake itself to pieces, in the end she snapped the dipper like a carrot at the top where the ram end connects. I would still buy another one though but only if I was to operate it myself. Im sure Hyundai build quality has come on a bit since then anyway. I attach some piccies of my girl!!

  14. #14Squizzy246B2007-05-13 11:03

    I think there is currently a problem with the Pacific route...something about the Mariana Trench and some guy who didn't have a long enough snorkel ointhead Nick, I can't see alot wrong with the Hyoonndeee...well at least on this new one the service access is much improved and things appear pretty robust. Parts support has improved here and that has been a problem in the past. I could live with it for sure...although I'd like to put it against a Hitachi of the same size for comparo. Sure beats the old Cats I used to run...but thats like nearly 20 years ago.

  15. #15RonG2007-05-13 14:08

    That place closed when Junior Samples passed away. You didn't think anyone would know what that meant,did you??Ron G:usa

  16. #16LowBoy2007-05-13 14:50

    I was just "testing" to weed out the young whippersnappers RonG, that's all... Junior Samples still lives in our hearts, though. Kinda like Elvis... See, you've dated yourself like me now...

  17. #17RonG2007-05-13 15:05

    66 today as a matter of fact..SSSHHHHHHHHHH

  18. #18Nick Drew2007-05-13 15:09

    Already posted you a Birthday Greeting in a PM on the Shhhh...swedish site....... Anyway Happy Birthday my friend across the pond:drinkup I will open a beer right now to celebrate with you!! All the best Nick.

  19. #19RonG2007-05-13 16:28

    I received the "greetings from management" thing but did not see any post that I could reply to.I will look again.Thanks again in any case.Ron G

  20. #20LowBoy2007-06-03 20:37

    Happy belated birthday to you, RonG...I was gone doing what I do for the past couple of weeks, and didn't pick up on that 'til just now.:beerchug

  21. #21RonG2007-06-04 04:57

    Thanks for the thought and also for the latest batch of great pics that you have posted.I had the opportunity several years ago to do just what you are doing but I turned it down because I like to be home at night.The hassle of permits and escorts,alternate routes and the restrictions on hours that you can travel put the squash on it for me.I like running equipment and if I have to drive the lowbed locally I will do it but I am not as fond of driving as I once was.My DOT physical ran out a couple years ago and I have not renewed it to protect my own interests....LOL Ron G

  22. #22LowBoy2007-06-04 07:52

    I can sure relate to what you're saying, RonG. I'm not fond of being an over-the-road heavy equipment relocation technician either.(How's that for a roundabout term for "dumb truck driver,eh?) I really don't like leaving home with a bag of clothes and a shaving kit like I did 20 years ago, but unfortunately in this region where we live, decent jobs are scarce for a guy like me who likes to participate in multiple facets of the industry. I can't just drive day in and day out, I'd shoot myself. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I do a variety of things from hauling all kinds of machinery, to working as a serviceman when around town as well. It makes for a nice combination, and I need that mix to stay sane...(if I can claim that I am. ) This weekend I've been working here at my place with an excavator I stole from work, building a road down to my lower 20 acres, and just overall puttering, which is a great bonus from an absolutely phenominal employer. That said, it gives me the incentive to keep performing at 150% of my ability. Someday, my ship will come in...I just hope I won't be at the airport when it does.. By the way, I'm originally from East Haven/No. Branford line. Moved up north in 1991. Who do you work for in Meriden, or shouldn't you say? (I'd understand if you didn't want to reveal that info...)

  23. #23RonG2007-06-04 08:38

    That is funny........the story goes that I was advertising for a DUMP truck driver,not a DUMB truck driver. I have retired against my wishes but basically the young "operators" don't want me around and management seems to conform to the wishes of the majority of their workers to keep the peace and I usually don't get called back in the spring.That is a pretty harsh statement to be making but there are a lot of old guys that will back me up on this.The young operators having learned to "drive" the machine do not want to be shown anything and the majority of them don't know what they are looking at anyway when they should be learning from you. I should have joined the union when I was young and I never thought that I would be saying this but talent is rewarded in that environment because you are working with equals and there does not seem to be as much jealousy whereas professional courtesy seems to prevail. I suppose I should be staying home at this age but I still have a lot of work left in me and my skill level is just going to waste AND I miss it.LOL As with most equipment operators we travel around wherever the work is and I seldom work much close to home.I worked years ago on a T&M project in N Branford with Don Schmelter who subbed their excavation and on this particular job he partnered with Empire because of the paving end of the job. Schmelter sold everything and moved to Florida and I was invited but chose not to go.Empire bought our KW tractor,50 ton lowbed and dump trailer in fact.I still see it on the road occasionally and that was in the early '90's. I worked for Alex Vigliotti for a while on his projects in Branford and Madison. I lost that job because a native of his hometown in Italy would do it cheaper.....hey,that's economics,right? I have worked all over the state in my career and I don't miss the driving after a long day,sometimes moving equipment after running it all day. I have brothers in Cow Hampshire,one of them owned Merrimac Sheet Metal in Concord,Hookset really I guess until his health took a hit and he sold the business although he still owns the buildings I hear. There is another in Epsom and one in Newington now working for Gove Const. I think.Enough rambling,be safe.Ron G

  24. #24DigDug2007-06-04 15:32

    Happy Birthday RonG:drinkup

  25. #25LowBoy2007-06-05 00:36

    That's pretty funny Ron. I remember Don Schmelter...had a bunch of flatbeds and dumps, used to haul crushed cars. Had a 1979 Ford F-250 that he stuffed a 4-71 Detroit Diesel into, with a Jake Brake (half of a 318, 8-V 71 Jake setup,) stacks, etc. all painted up with his name in glitter on the side like all the rest. You used to hear a Detroit come screaming down the street, then hear the Jake blaring, but all you saw was a pickup truck and didn't associate the noise with the vehicle until it finally registered in your head. Matt Flanagan bought that pickup from Schmelter..Agra Industrial Supply at the time. Empire was my very first job in my life, at age 16. Skip Tucker used to hang around with my 2 older brothers in their younger days, and I got hired by him just due to that. Asked me if I drove a 10 wheeler before. Of course, I never did, but said, "Pffffttt, you kiddin'...I used to haul logs out in Oregon..." He put me in the B-61 with a quadbox and a steering wheel as big around as my kitchen table. I didn't even have a class B license, until 6 months after he hired me. Took me about a solid month to get good enough at shifting that quad box that I could do it no clutch, one handedly. Then I was a hotshot, let me tell you...That truck was a deathtrap, wouldn't stop EMPTY if you threw an anchor out. Almost killed myself and other innocent people twice, going way too fast with 25 ton of processed stone or asphalt on, couldn't stop for love nor money. Boy, looking back on those days Mister, I and some others are some lucky to still be alive. I was flying down I-95 with 25 ton of processed stone on one day, when the Stratford toolbooths were still there, southbound. I went to slow down for the toll, stepped down on the pedal, and all I heard was...SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WhoaBoy....the only thing that saved me and everybody else that day, was one lane was closed with a cone in it. I took that lane at 50+/- m.p.h., and shot through there like gas through a funnel. Came to a rolling stop about 3/4 mile past the tollbooths, knees knocking, sweat pouring out of my forehead, and a soiled pair of Fruit O' The Looms. I got out and almost fell down I was so stinkin' nervous. Walked behind the old junk and found the (copper back then,) airline was broken clean off the rear brake chamber. Didn't even have maxi's on the old gal, just single diaphragm brake cans. What a ride, I'll never forget that one as long as I live. I called Skip's brother, the shop mechanic at the time, and he came down and cut an inch off the line and threw a new farrel on it and it was good to go. They were all laughing at me over beer that night, when I said I lost my brakes. They said I didn't need brakes to do the job...just a throttle. Sorry for the ramble myself, that just brought back some good 'ol memories Ron.

  26. #26RonG2007-06-05 07:00

    We could really swap some stories huh?Don always did things in a big way,I bet that pickup had 20 speakers in the cab,they were all over the place.We used to go riding and there really is not much a gearhead could pray for to surpass the thrill of riding in a pickup with 4-71 AND a real live and working Jake brake......what a sound!!He always had trouble starting it though and near the end somebody figured out (I wish I could take credit for it) that it had a 24 volt starter on it and as soon as that was changed it started fine of course.He told me somebody in Colorado bought the truck but after you shook hands with Don you better count your fingers.LOL That Earl Tucker was a rascal and Skip jr has taken over now they say and I hear he is worse than his dad.He and Don were close friends and He used to buy all of Dons Corvettes when Don bought a newer one. I am going to include a couple of pics that will be of interest to everybody because they are unique but it will show some of the work and talent that Don posessed and he was a talented guy. The pics are of an Isuzu cabover that Don bought and modified by combining two chevy pickup beds which were very stylish at the time,that was before the 2nd generation Dodge came out and he painted it up with that beautiful rose paint,it was one of a kind for sure. The boat that you see had twin 500 horse Mercruisers in it and we used to take a day off once in a while and go out on the sound to shoot across to Long Island and raise cain.Have a great day.Ron G

  27. #27LowBoy2007-06-05 08:39

    What a deal, huh?... Yeah, Earl Jr. is definitely a chip off the 'ol block, that's for sure. Never really had to work at anything or over-exert himself, just fell into a bottomless goldmine with dad's empire. That Yamaha powered Ford F-250 was definitely sold to Matty Flanaghan in North Branford. They painted it Agra Industrial Supply colors, black with red and silver. It used to travel in my old stomping grounds around No. Branford throughout New Haven, up and down rte. 80 every day, but it finally got wrecked by one of Agra's better men . Do you remember Wayne's Transport in Wallingford? He had that sharp blue 377 Peterbilt triaxle with the mural of itself painted on the side of the body. He spent stupid money on that thing. The side of the box was smooth so the mural was full length. The story was one time Wayne was backed up under an excavator on a jobsite getting loaded by some yahoo who dropped a bucket from way up high and rocked Wayne's truck so bad, he got out, ran up to the hoe and put the knuckles to the kid running it. Beat 9 kinds of snot out of that kid. Never loaded another bucket on Wayne again after that. If I remember right, Wayne had to talk to the judge later on, too. I used to drive Letis Truckin's old 1971 Brockway when I was 19 or 20. It was a real beast to say the least. It was specially built for the Alaskan pipeline, only 3 of it's kind sold by Barnick's when he was on frontage road in East Haven, remember? Letis had one, Cherry Hill Const. (Ivy Sachs,) had one, and there was one other that Letis bought and sold. They had triple frames, 65,000 lb. Timken drop-in rears, I think 24,000 lb. front ends. 8-V 71 318's with 5 X 4 Double-Overdrive, and the infamous hollow Riker mufflers. The one I drove sounded unlike any other 318 you'd ever heard. I used to make that thing sing like a bird...and believe me, at 20 years old, I played the song as hard as it could be sung:cool2 . You could hear that Brockway coming for 2 miles away. That two stick was a delight, too. I had the auxiliary stick bent close enough to the main that I shifted it with one hand, split every one, and could bring the main back into the next hole and have the auxiliary back into direct without interruption, with finesse and grace. To this day, 25 + yrs. later, I still can hear that Yamaha ringing in my ears. Probably why I am half deaf, too. The jake was added later on, and THEN we did some talking, let me tell ya. Got stopped multiple times in Woodbridge by the local cops wanting to know why that thing didn't have mufflers. Once I pointed to them, they walked away. Boy, the things memories are made of, huh RonG? Have a good one.

  28. #28RonG2007-06-05 09:24

    I knew where Wayne parked his truck down on No.plains Ind.Hgwy,I used to haul out of that sandpit down there with the KW/dumptrailer and for the life of me cannot remember the guys name that owned it.The best 318/jake combo that I ever drove was with Highway Specialties which was a division of Neal Robisons construction company.I was their finish dozer operator to make ready for the paving crew........actually I made it ready for TC with the grader but he was always telling me how he loved following me around as there was so little to do. When the bottom dropped out in '89 I think it was HighWay Specialties went under and TC...........cannot think of his first name but his last was Carabetta bought their grader and a few other things and used to hire me on the weekends to help him. Their tractor was an old longnose Brockway with a 318 and a three stage jake with a roadranger behind it.Bungee cord across the hood to hold it down but there again I had to move equipment at the end of the day but listening to those twin stacks did sweeten the deal. Their trailer was an old 35 ton Rogers,(remember the squash pins?) and the DOT number on that trailer was a single digit..........like 3 or 4 they had owned it for so long.Yah,memories........hope they don't throw us off'a here.Ron G

  29. #29LowBoy2007-06-05 19:53

    Yeah, maybe we'd better start PM'ing our memories instead of clogging up this precious threadspace...I doubt anybody wants to hear a couple of Nutmegger's talking about screamin' Detroits and Brockways anyways RonG.

  30. #30Squizzy246B2007-06-06 00:29

    Oh I don't know.....I'll just have to place you two cumudgeons in the "watch for further Hi-Jackery List" :notworthy :notworthy

  31. #31Countryboy2007-06-06 00:45

    Its lonely in there.....ain't it Squizzy.....:cool2

  32. #32LowBoy2007-06-06 06:14

    Is there room for 2 more, just in case??? Sometimes as you might have already sensed, I tend to get a wee bit "lengthy" in my conveyences....I mean no harm, it's just that if you were to talk to YOURSELF like I do for umpteen hours at a clip, you'd be subject to the same problem I'd bet.:crazy :crazy :crazy (BTW,) I've never in all my borned days been called a " cumudgeon " before. Should I seek some sort of treatment for that, or what?

  33. #33RonG2007-06-06 07:33

    I didn't really intend to stop,I was just checking to see if anybody else was readin' 'em.Ron G

  34. #34Electra_Glide2007-06-06 13:03

    At least in my circles, being labeled a curmudgeon is considered an honor. It loosly translates to: that grumpy b*****d sitting over there in the corner, who might teach you a thing or two if you're willing to get over his "unique" inter-personal skills. Joe

  35. #35LowBoy2007-06-06 22:29

    Well, in that case then...I'm honored.:notworthy