Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

World Trade Center Delivery…

LowBoy ยท 2007-05-06 22:13

Here's some shots of an interesting deal I'll never forget. Picked up a portable mortar batch plant from a jobsite at the Gilboa Dam in Gilboa, NY. About 3 1/2 hrs. north of New York City. They used it there to install a bunch of anchors to hold the crumbling old concrete structure up for a little while longer. Hate to see that dam break, it'd do some major damage. The next morning (in the wee hours, about 4 a.m.,) I arrive at the World Trade Center location. At 7:30 a guy escorted me into a checkpoint where they processed me and gave me a day pass, and then I had police escorts stop traffic in 4 directions so I could pull right down into the foundation pit of the former twin towers. It was such tight quarters down in there with all the equipment and multiple projects and mayhem, that when we were done with the lift, I unhooked the lowbed and we rigged it with the crane, and spun it 180 degrees to drive out. No way mathmatically to turn around or back out due to busyness of the site. Wasn't supposed to take pictures for security reasons, but it's not like I'm selling them, just sharing the experience of the day. Hard not to feel a bunch of emotions when you see the intensity of the whole big picture in real life, even 5 years afterwards. TV or photos really can't capture the severity of the damage and changes this thing made to the area and many people's lives, all in the name of nothing... The crane operator was there since day 2 of the collapse, was giving me a bunch of statistics. They loaded out 166,000 truckloads of debris, that went onto barges down the street and hauled away. Unbelievable... 1) Batch plant all loaded in Gilboa, NY 2) Batch plant in world trade center pit, swinging by crane, just came right over me in the cab... 3) Waiting for crew to pull tires off plant to load in Gilboa,NY 4) Part of the old twin towers foundation, twisted, burnt steel beams, etc. 5) Trailer spun 180 degrees so I could leave, facing outbound. Njoy. Thanx.

Replies3
  1. #1HeyUvaVT2007-05-07 07:46

    :usa very interesting place to be i am sure...its gonna be great when they get the new towers built and we can give yet another big F-U to anyone that doubts or hates us! :usa

  2. #2LowBoy2007-05-08 06:14

    Yeah, interesting to say the least. There's still a lot of work to be done before new towers are started. Across the street from the site, another skyscraper I noticed was wrapped in what appeared to be nylon netting, with staging set up all the way around it.(Probably an 80 +/- story building.) I asked a foreman what that was all about, and he said that in that building they found is highly contaminated with particulates and biohazard materials that impregnated into the porus exterior texture, so it has to come down. It will be a 10 YEAR, piece-by-piece demolition project, as it has to be dis-assembled with tower cranes. Imagine the "bill" for that demo job...

  3. #3HeyUvaVT2007-05-08 07:40

    hate to be the one paying that bill