Hi! Just wondering if anyone can offer up any tips for new operators securing employment in Canada or north america? Ive sent out hundreds of resumes but it seems that since I dont have the minimum 5 years exp most employers seem to be looking for I havnt heard anything back yet. I do have over 200 hours field experience operating at the training pit for the university I acquired my degree though but it seems to not be enough. I was an industrial painter for 7 years before deciding I needed an actual career so I understand having to pay my dues but was hoping I could do it from behind the sticks doing cleanup or loading trucks and not from my couch so its slightly disappointing.
If you really want to get a job in this business, without any real experience; you have to get out there in person if you can? Go to some of the companies you have applied to and introduce yourself to the appropriate people at the appropriate time. Let them distinguish you from all the other names on paper they see. Be persistent, check back often, don't be too proud to take a labor position just to prove your ability to be a good employee first and foremost. Making connections and having people like your work ethic is the name of the game. It really is a small community... reputations are critical. I have several articles that may help you in your endeavor. Good Luck!
Start on the ground. Learn all the tricks by watching and work your way into the seat. Or get into an apprenticeship program that provides quality training. Most outfits aren't willing to put money into training an operator from scratch right out of the gate. They'll be willing to let production slide a little after you've worked for them awhile while you learn new skills, but you have to earn the production loss that will occur while you're still learning new skills.
Training pit? University? Degree? Moar info please.....this should be good
I do have quite a bit of training, Im a registered apprentice with the ITA and only 200 operating hours short of a red seal trade certificate. I have applied in person to most of the companies on vancouver island but the problem is most of the larger companies are up north so its a little tricky getting up there