After watching numerous youtube vid's and seeing many excavators at work, sometimes during digging operations you might hear a hiss noise coming from the machine (assuming its from the cylinders). Its probably something really simple but it happens often enough to make me curious. Seems to happen on both older and newer machines? As luck would have it, I haven't yet found a clip on youtube which you can really hear it...
Thats exactly what it is,think about the quanity and speed of the oil rushing through the fittings hoses piping,etc. I am actually surprised it is not louder then it is.
here's a video, with the best example I could find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6hEg_3GQ0Y Pretty sure it's hydraulic fluid exiting/entering the cylinder(s). Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in. (thanks Dirtman2007):usa
Thanks for the replies & the rather amusing video. Certainly seems to be connected to the cylinders as the noise only seems to occur during digging/dumping action. Mystery solved I think! :drinkup
Either that or you ran over a snake.....
Hey that looks familiar I kinda like this one better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un9YG5B-_So&feature=related Ah.... the things you do while waiting on trucks to arrive ointhead That machine has always done that since it was new. Here one of it digging, you can hear the noise. It had been greased that morning so it's not any pins making the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ4319IKsxI
The clip of putting one cup inside another with the bucket claw was fantastic, had to save that one for later entertainment!
is it possible there is snake in the cab?
My guess would be that it is the relief valves cracking and the oil going back to tank when the cylinders are maxed out or the load is to great while digging . The reliefs will give a "chirp" when this happens or a "hiss" if it left in the overloaded state .