Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 120 excavator won’t start alarm sounds

MartyW ยท 2018-06-17 08:14

Good morning I'm new to the forum and am pleased to have found it. I have a 1994 Hitachi 120 excavator that has been sitting all winter. The last time I used it was in the Fall. I live in NY. I recently tried starting it (using fully charged batteries) and nothing happens when I turn the key except for a loud alarm and red light flashing on the control panel...looks like an oil symbol. There's plenty of oil on the dip stick. I don't have an English owners manual to troubleshoot so I was hoping someone may have an insight as to my problem. Thanks in advance

Replies3
  1. #1tool_king2018-06-17 17:28

    Marty do you get the engine to crank over ? What dash number is your machine ?

  2. #2Ronsii2018-06-17 20:48

    The alarm is an oil 'pressure' alarm it should go out after it is running, it's not supposed to sound before starting but if there is something wrong with the alternator or wiring has changed it could... there is a plug with two wire on the back of the alternator one goes to the start inhibit on the starter solenoid and the other one feeds the dash to tell the computer the engines running via 12 volts from the alternator... if the computer sees the 12 volts and no oil pressure it will sound an alarm. alarm will also sound for the engine coolant level. there is a tech manual on here somewhere for a 200 but the electronics will be the same for that stuff. Since you said you tried to start it with fresh batts.... I am assuming you switched them into the excavator... if you knocked loose any of the wires on the relays above the batts this could cause your issue... on a 1994 the wires are pretty fragile up there I have had them fall off for no reason but corrosion ate the end of the terminal off and no worky

  3. #3Ronsii2018-06-17 20:57

    Found it ---> http://www.mediafire.com/file/pielv9d9cw49k92/EX200-2+Technical+Manual.pdf it around 50 megs spitzair had put it up long time ago in this thread as well as a few others I think HeavyEquipmentForums