Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 270-3 hydraulic oil

Hoshaft ยท 2018-01-30 22:37

Like the title says above my 09' hoe came back with a bad oil sample. I just bought the machine and have only played in it, 7700 hours and runs like a champ but the iron level came back at 139ppm. I've changed all fluids and filters except the hydraulic oil. The zinc level is at 385 ppm, could this be destroying my pumps? Will flushing and putting the correct oil in save it? Thanks for any replies, I've been creeping for years and have learned a lot.

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2018-01-31 00:12

    What oil are you using for top-ups at the moment..? Also what brand hydraulic filters?

  2. #2Hoshaft2018-01-31 00:26

    Hitachi oil and filters. I've read all your older post on this subject and hope i caught it in time. I'm thinking the previosus owner filled it with the wrong oil.

  3. #3Nige2018-01-31 09:08

    OK, next question. How far back does the oil analysis history go and how reliable do you think it is..? Did the oil analysis include an ISO Clleanliness Code..? If not I suggest you have an oil sample analyzed for that and post the results. Can you talk to the previous owner and ask what oils/filters were used in it, although I guess you would have seen what brand of filter came out when you changed it recently..? 385ppm of zinc could be scary but I'd like to see the ISO Number first before hitting the panic button.

  4. #4Hoshaft2018-01-31 09:59

    The previous owner used hitachi filters and stated he never had to add hydraulic oil in the 400 hours that he had owned it. I'll try and post the oil sample results.

  5. #5Hoshaft2018-01-31 11:00
  6. #6Hoshaft2018-01-31 11:01
  7. #7Nige2018-01-31 17:59

    They have done a PQ test but I don't see anything for the Cleanliness Code (Particle Count) to ISO 4401. I will caveat that by saying that I can't see all of Page 2 but in the "Test methoids" box on the RH side bottom directly below "PQ Index" it does mention Particle Count - ASTM D7647/ISO 4401 Google "ISO 4401" and once you understand a bit abpout it you may be able to find something on the part of the test results that has not shown up on your post.

  8. #8John C.2018-01-31 18:52

    Nige as usual is right on in asking for the cleanliness code. It will be three numbers that relate to the size of the particles counted per certain volume of oil. If there is a problem the report would make a recommendation. In my experience that level of iron in the oil does not imply the pumps and hydraulic system is in danger of imminent failure. If I had seen the levels of copper and tin being high I would suspect a possible problem. What I have seen when a lab comes up with high readings after a machine has changed ownership was an extended oil change interval. In this case I would expect to see a recommendation of changing the filter at the next scheduled service and resample after running a few days.

  9. #9Hoshaft2018-01-31 19:07
  10. #10Hoshaft2018-01-31 19:09

    Thanks for the replys, I've ordered oil and plan on replacing filters again regardless. You're putting my mind at some ease, I'll resample it again.

  11. #11Nige2018-02-01 11:18

    I wanted to see the ISO Code before commenting but what would worry me is the 385 ppm of zinc. That's why it is important to give the lab the info about the actual oil being used, how many operating hours on it, was the filter changed, etc, etc, at the time the sample label is completed. All the lab sees is "ISO46" without knowing it's Hitachi oil. A generic ISO AW46 hydraulic oil generally contains about 500 ppm of zinc as an anti-friction additive, so an AW46 oil with a zinc value 385 would likely be considered as "normal additive depletion" and not worthy of comment, especially if the oil had a few thousand operating hours on it. An ashless (zinc-free) hydraulic oil will normally contain less than 10 ppm of zinc when new. At the time it's changed (4000 hours) the zinc will have risen a bit but usually to no more than 50 ppm as an absolute maximum, generally in the 20-30 range. That's why 385 gives the impression that either someone has been topping up with a generic AW46 oil, or maybe using non-OEM filters that have leached zinc into the system. I've had that happen to me before.

  12. #12Hoshaft2018-02-01 14:22

    I talked to previous owner and he didn't know what oil was used but I know he uses Hitachi filters. I'll flush and keep changing until all the old oil is out then monitor the samples.

  13. #13Nige2018-02-01 15:10

    If the previous owner said he didn't know what oil was used in it then IMO he's either not on top of his game or is being economical with the truth.....I wonder how much else about the maintenance he doesn't remember..? I know it will be messy but rather than keep changing the oil in the tank try to drain as much oil out of the system as possible by pulling hoses and draining cylinders, travel/swing motors, etc. If what's in there right now is AW46 you want to get rid of as much of it as possible at one hit. FWI you don't necessarily have to use Hitachi-branded oil, most oil companies offer a zinc-free ISO46 oil. We used to use Conoco EcoTerra and it was very good, but I'm sure it's not the only option on the market. http://distributors.phillips66lubri...ls/FOB Ecoterra Hydraulic Oil TDSw 814635.pdf

  14. #14Hoshaft2018-02-01 21:59

    The previous owner used it for 400 hours chasing money in the bakken oil field then ditched it when things went south. I had an experienced mechanic go through it and said the machine is in great shape, I'm thinking he didn't know about using ash less oil. I also took your advise and went with the eco terra as it was six dollars a gallon cheaper than the hitachi oil. Thanks again for the replys and I'll keep you updated on my findings.

  15. #15Nige2018-02-02 19:25

    I would still strongly recommend that you pull an oil sample and have it analyzed for ISO Code. It will give a very good indication of how clean (or not as the case may be) the hydraulic system actually is .........