Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi crane mode

IceHole ยท 2024-03-18 16:23

What does "crane mode" do on a Hitachi excavator? Not sure what other machines have it, but my ZX40-3 does. Only thing I can tell is it makes an amber strobe come on. Has a bubble level off the armrest, I'd guess for crane work?? Has a built in hook off the H link. The info I can find is there's working mode and crane mode, but nothing on what each do. It has pilot valves on all the cylinders, I'd guess for lifting? Has a bunch of lift cert stickers in Japanese but most came off when I washed it. (Stickers an owner put on, not OEM) Also has a 2nd key that goes in a switch that seems to do nothing. Not sure if related.

Replies5
  1. #1Bullitt2024-03-18 19:40

    I hope someone that really knows answers I curious as well. As far as I can tell it uses boom cylinder pressure to set and alarm before the machine potentially becomes unbalanced. The lack of its purpose in the manual is kind of baffling.

  2. #2JaredV2024-03-18 20:28

    On Cat machines it slows things down to make movements smoother and more precise.

  3. #3skyking12024-03-19 00:28

    I ran a cat that turned off the swing brake so you could smotthly move and counterswing to a stop. that was pretty sweet with a heavy load. None of that notchy bump.

  4. #4IceHole2024-03-19 00:38

    Like less flow? I can't tell any difference, though could be it's not working right.

  5. #5JaredV2024-03-19 08:18

    I think so. It's been a couple years since I last used it but I know it is nice to have for setting precast bridge deck panels. I don't remember if it turned the swing brake off, too, but it probably did. I do know it made the job easier for the operator.