I'v looked in the threads but haven't been able to find a similar problem. It operates fine for about 20 minutes then slowly looses power and sputters out. If will settle at a rough idle for a while then die. It will start back up but is basically non-functional. I spent the day cleaning out the fuel lines, checked all the fittings, changed the filter and pulled and cleaned the fuel tank. Thanks in advance for any help and insight into this problem.
Brian,..sounds like a fuel restriction..On the "inlet side" of the lift pump the "banjo bolt" that connects the fuel line to the lift pump[from the filter or fuel tank] has a screen in it.. remove the banjo bolt..unscrew the filter and clean it..REINSTALL..prime the system w/ the hand primer and fire it back up.
G'day, Had similar issue with Perkins motor in Massey Tractor. Motor would run but underpowered and very hard to start again. Eventually pulled the lift pump to find that the internals were gunked up with algae growth - there was a fine filter also inside the lift pump - don't know if your version would have that - but once fixed problem gone and have always used chemical doping to prevent fuel growth since. I do mean really filthy on the inside - wondered how the fuel got through enough even to start. Hope this helps but I expect you have to repair/replace the lift pump - could be hole in diaphragm also if insufficient fuel to injector pump. Regards, MX45.
Brian the banjo bolt attaches the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel pump. inside the hollow bolt is a strainer that you need to clean.
THANKS JAY...thats exactly what I was talking about..and if memory serves me correctly..there is another 1 on the primary filter side..hell, just check them all..
thanks for the help, I'll try that and get back to you. Thanks for the pic, looks like it will be fun to get to !
still no luck, I did look in my manual and the only similar screen that is refers to is on the inlet side of the water separator although it is missing in my machine. The fuel line goes into a "2 way" banjo where on end goes in to the lift pump (?) and the other goes to the fuel filter. I took this apart and nothing there except a ball bearing check valve. The only other banjo is directly below the priming plunger and just above an engin mount. Please don't tell me this is the one cause I don't think it has room to come out.
Sorry, but that looks like the picture to me. It might have room to come out if you can get a box end on it to break it loose then loosen all the way and slide the tube and banjo to the side to drop the bolt.
After looking at the previous diagram, that's what i thought. oh well, how bad can it be, thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.
everyone so professional! but I only know turbocharger:notworthy just learning
I have had this problem before remove The filter in The banjo bolt And run The machine without it (only do this if you have cleaned out The lines put new filters on And cleaned The fuel tank) The next thing is To replace The lift pump/primeing pump as it has probably failed And is holding back The flow of fuel (even though it looks ok) another thing is To chack The filter housing it could be cracked or The oring could be gone on it And it could be drawing air. If all that fails try a new temporary fuel line And look for a crack or pinhole in The fuel lines that could cause it To draw air Lastly how is Your diesel And is it Good diesel ? Is there any water in it?
CJ> DID YOU SEE THE PICTURE??LOL..He's gonna need a bucket of grease for his hand to slide in there and a box of Bandaids when he's done..LOL On a "side note" I've done exactly as you've described, JUST TO diagnose a problem.. BUT once you get the bolt out and unscrew the filter..you know damn quick if its the problem or not..cuz its slam full of debris. I've had folks show up at my shop with the ENTIRE INJECTION PUMP for just that problem[same as Brians] and I show them the "filter" in the banjo bolt..and you know it took them HRS. to get the pump off.. I ALWAYS get a COMPLETE rebuild outta the deal..cuz the customer says, " hell, go all the way thru it..I'm not going thru THAT again"...
Just remove the outlet fuel line and then unbolt the transfer pump. Should be able to get better access to that banjo pickin' bolt. Just my $.02
Can unbolting the transfer pump solve the problem of warming?What should we can do including this solution??
IT WORKED !!!! Thanks so much for everyone's help. It actually wasn't that bad to get the bolt out, there was, after all almost an 1/8" clearance to slide the bolt out. After ordering the bolt for $16 and paying another $16 to ship it, the problem is solved. Thanks again!
Glad we could help..BUT, there is a "screwdriver slot" in the filter..made to be removed and cleaned and reinstalled..OR you could have lightley clamped it a vise and turned it out..
Tried that but it just twisted to pieces and they don't sell the screen separate
Wooohooo...back to work:drinkup Anybody ever notice a person bleeds way more as soon as grease is involved:laugh
When the engineers get done making equipment, they give them a standard workshop toolbox and throw every part number in a hat and tell each one to pick one out and then they get to take that part off with the given tools and SPACE that they provided...I wonder if they would make a little extra room in some of those compartments so a normal persoan can manuver and get the parts off easier. Buggers
I've had that exact experience, the screen so packed with debris that it just disintegrated. Tried washing it out, but due to the small holes in the bolt it was not effective. Well done! :thumbsup
IF you would have asked..you would have received