Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex120-2 hydraulic problem/vibration

Michael89 · 2026-04-16 07:52

Hi folks I have a hitachi ex120-2 that I just bought and after ten minutes of running starts playing up. If I slew around it will stop and start with vibration. If I dead head any service like fully close the bucket it will start vibrating pipes. It’s symptoms are like a machine low on hydraulic fluid. It does not stall the engine. I have replaced the exhaust and throttle cable,all new filters and oils. The fault was on it before any work was done. I was told to do a conversion on the sensors but I’d like to investigate a bit more. Any information would be appreciated

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2026-04-16 08:43

    Is the machine performance fast and with no vibration if tracking at full speed or stroking the boom or arm cylinders in the air at full speed ? The vibration at slew (swing) stop and start sounds like the swing brake is slow to release and quick to apply. Eliminate the swing brake function completely ( as a test only ) by unplugging the solenoid in screenshot below. See if it resolves the swing vibration at stop and start issue.

  2. #2Michael892026-04-16 09:02

    If tracking at full speed yes this will happen and it happens while in the motion of swinging and other functions. I’m going to double check the boom and arm but I think it’s the same. I taught it might be a main relief valve myself? Thanks for your quick reply

  3. #3Diesel Dave2026-04-16 09:23

    If the vibration exists when using any functions including when not dead headed leads me to think it is not a main releif valve issue. Sounds like the pump is starving for oil. The hydraulic tank normally becomes pressurized after a few cycles of raising the boom to full height and back to ground. After cycling the boom a few times , turn the engine off , remove the hydraulic fill cap and listen for a “whoosh” sound as the air pressure is released. If tank pressurization proves ok, check for a restricted suction screen located in the hydraulic tank.

  4. #4Michael892026-04-16 13:20

    I just went back to the machine to double check. If I try to slew normally it starts vibrating but if I ease it into it,it doesn’t. Same with boom ,bucket dipper. I should have said I changed the suction,return and pilot filters and new oil as I originally taught it was a restriction. There seems to be a bit of air/bubbles in the hydraulic tank. If I stop and leave the machine running,it will work ok again for a couple of minutes.

  5. #5DustAndRay2026-04-16 21:55

    Sounds like air is getting sucked into the system somewhere. I'd start by checking the suction hose for any cracks, loose clamps, or fittings that aren't sealing tight. Even a tiny gap on the suction side will pull air in under load. That would explain why easing into movements helps and why it settles down after a rest. Also, worth checking the pump shaft seal. If it's leaking air past the seal, that could do it too.