Hi all, have a track adjuster that starts leaking as soon as I put grease in on the zerk fitting side right under the fitting, not from the normal front end with seals. Is this a crack I can simply weld, or some sort of adjustment?
The grease fitting is in the top of the removable track adjuster valve. The bottom of the valve is tapered and it seals on a matching taper on the track adjuster shaft. The valve maybe slightly loose or some debris could be trapped on the taper allowing the grease to leak by.
Ok, so it may be reparable to take apart? Or I can just weld that part to get by for a bit until replacement arrives. I don’t see any danger in that, unless someone may think so
I don’t know your urgency or situation to get back up and running again ….but your closest Hitachi or Deere dealer would more than likely have the valve in stock. The part is used on current product and as far back into the 1980’s. It is not a big $ item.
ok, so it’s removable and reparable. I will check this out, I didn’t see maybe that call out in the parts manual. Must have overlooked that on the zerk fitting side
This labeled as 06 is the "Nut" that can be removed and purchased to keep grease in? Would this not let spring loose? So I may need to put in a vice or a way to keep spring from uncoiling etc.
DO NOT !! do anything with the nut , the spring tension will kill you FUKN dead !! That large spring is under extreme tension and requires special tooling to deal with the spring safely for disassembly of the track adjuster assembly. The track adjuster valve I am referring to is item #15. The track adjuster valve screws into the end of shaft item #1.The taper on the end of the valve matches the tapered seat in the shaft to act as the seal to prevent a grease leak path. Remove the valve and clean the shaft of grease. Look closely at the taper in the shaft for dirt or debris not allowing the valve to seat properly.
Grease fitting (item 15) treads into the end of item 1 Like Dave said don't touch the nut or it will ***k you up
Ahh yes, if I mistyped above, I am referring to that 01 where the nut screws onto it. I put in a new fitting, and its not leaking at the zerk, its leaking about 1/4" out from it on the joint described below. It's leaking at the joint I guess where the nut 06 screws onto 01, if that makes sense. So welding that is about the option until I replace the track adjuster.