Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Ex150 V / no throttle control

blakeusa52 · 2024-06-29 23:31

Engine starts and idles and will shut down. No increase in engine when throttling up. Removed the linkage from the fuel pump and can rev the machine by moving the lever on the fuel pump. Put it back together and adjusted the linkage a bit and it ran fine for 5 min then stopped again. I have a service manual that shows a long cable like 120 inches which is what appears to be on the machine. Seems to run from the intrrior control panel back by the batteries then to the engine...connects to a swivel rod that's about 12 inches which i belive connects to lever on the fuel pump. I plan on removing the cable tomorrow... but is there an electronic or hydro control or just a direct old school cable on this machine? Service manual shows just long cable but my parts manual shows something completely different. I must have the wrong parts manual. Not sure if I have an electronic throttle control. Just a lever on the dash that runs back to the engine.. If anybody has an ex150 V parts manual please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Replies24
  1. #1blakeusa522024-06-29 23:32
  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-06-30 09:10

    What’s your serial number start with ? EX150 serial # prefix is 133, EX150-5 serial # prefix is 13K If you have a throttle lever on the dash sounds like the machine is a straight EX150 . If you have the SDX instrument panel ,try turning off the auto idle switch.The auto idle system may not be functioning correctly. Deere online parts has the catalog for a Hitachi EX150 . https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/search/type/model/term/EX150 .

  3. #3blakeusa522024-06-30 13:08

    Serial number 133 Thank you

  4. #4blakeusa522024-06-30 13:26

    The machine does start and idle.

  5. #5Diesel Dave2024-06-30 16:08

    I understand. Does the instrument panel look the same as in the pic below ?. .

  6. #6blakeusa522024-06-30 18:19

    Yes

  7. #7Diesel Dave2024-06-30 20:38

    If you can shut off the engine with the console throttle lever control it sounds like the throttle cable is in useable condition. I suspect your engine high speed control issue is related to the auto-idle system. Turn off the console auto idle switch and put the mode switch in “P“ position. Are you able to throttle up the engine to high rpm ? If no, check the (2) mini hydraulic cylinders (key # 23 in screenshot below) at the throttle linkage pivots .The cylinder rods should not be extended or if they are extended they should be able to be retracted easily with light hand pressure. See parts screenshot below. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/75017/referrer/search/pgId/137560 . .

  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-06-30 21:12

    The (2) mini cylinders are installed in the 2 large holes in bracket #17, see screenshot below. .

  9. #9blakeusa522024-06-30 21:30

    Ok I know the 2 mini cylinders you are talking about... if they don't move freely does this mean they need to be rebuilt or would it be the whole box or both. I will be at the machine tomorrow and I greatly appreciate the advise.

  10. #10Diesel Dave2024-06-30 22:52

    With the auto idle console switch off and the mode switch in the “P“ position. If you find either one of the mini cylinders extended, follow the cylinder hose back to the solenoid valve block and unplug the wire harness at the corresponding solenoid valve coil. If the mini cylinder still remains extended I suspect the solenoid valve cartridge is leaking internally sending pilot oil to the cylinder un commanded. .

  11. #11blakeusa522024-07-05 20:38

    Ok it was raining really hard yesterday but I found the solenoid valve SA unplugged. Plugged it back in and it made no difference. Both SA and SB cylinders on engine side move freely by hand. The SA cylinder barley moves on the engine side under power. Machine will rev by hand no problem. Also learned that the dash button fast/slow has never worked which is also part of this valve. So do I remove and rebuild this entire valve... like all of them or just the one that seems non functional or find a complete used assembly.? Or if I remove it is there a place that will just rebuild it and send it back to me? I also was not able to test for a short in the two valve wires or power being sent... but maybe tomorrow. Which no power being sent to the valve would mean a controller or ecu problem.. or bad wire? I also washed it off good so I could look for any leaks.. And where do I get the parts? Thank you in advance. B

  12. #12Diesel Dave2024-07-06 09:36

    I wouldn’t get too excited about the solenoid valves just yet. It sounds as if the non energized mini cylinders are not interfering with the throttle position linkage. I would suggest to have a helper in the cab cycle the throttle lever from engine stop to full throttle multiple times and you view what is happening at the throttle pivot linkage and at the injection pump.

  13. #13blakeusa522024-07-06 16:37

    Thank you. Will do tomorrow... And can anyone tell me what the spec or ideal spacing is for the two pivot valves to the stop bolts on the bracket on the engine side. B. And greatful for the advice and feedback.

  14. #14Diesel Dave2024-07-06 16:57

    Not sure what you are referring to as ”pivot valves” .

  15. #15blakeusa522024-07-06 19:05

    I found the entire process of setting the two valves and throttle linkage in the service manual. Thanks

  16. #16blakeusa522024-07-07 19:50

    Diesel Dave got me to a good diag. I have found problems with a frayed cable shield sometimes making the throttle cable to stick...and rod and ball joints not adjusted properly. Someone else was foolin with the machine before I looked at it.. which I was unaware. I believe replacing the Throttle cable and ideally rod and ball ends (as they are tight and rusty) and then following the install procedure in the service manual will get this thing working again. So question; Where do you or can you buy these parts? Throttle Cable Rod Ball Ends Ex150 - x133 model Can't seem to find them online per the parts numbers or ex150 search. Can see them online at John Deere but can't order them.

  17. #17Diesel Dave2024-07-07 20:42

    (1) Throttle cable AT166205 subs for 4201812 . (2) ball joint 4722815 subs for 4056017 . (1) rod 4188757 . Blake , I assume you came up with the same part #’s ? @mg2361 may be able to check stock at the Deere warehouses. .

  18. #18blakeusa522024-07-07 21:14

    So can just go to to or call a John Deere dealer... there is one about 35 minutes away.. or anyplace to buy it online.. I see aftermarket cables but need to remove what is installed to make sure I get the correct length end ends.. thanks B Not sure what @mg2361 is?

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-07-07 21:29

    mg2361 has access to the Deere dealer portal.

  20. #20mg23612024-07-08 05:27

    AT166205 - available 4722815 - available 4188757 - Obsolete.

  21. #21blakeusa522024-07-08 12:45

    Thank you so much guys.... appreciate it. Blake

  22. #22blakeusa522024-07-12 20:24

    Thank you to all that offered advise and expertise... got the new cable and got it installed today. Machine works perfect. Old cable was bound up and not moving freely at all and the locking nuts on the cable under the dash had come loose and partially off due to binding. I had no way to know until I took the seat out and cover off. Anyway thanks again. Blake

  23. #23Diesel Dave2024-07-12 20:38

    Great stuff , So your original plan to remove the throttle cable and check it was a good one !

  24. #24blakeusa522024-07-13 15:03

    Yes but then I started reading and got a service manual and got hung up on the hydraulic valves... but cable was bad.. could not really tell till I disassembled all. But like new now.. at least the throttle...