Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX200-2 Charging system question

spitzair ยท 2010-12-01 17:32

Hello everybody, I've been working non stop on my EX200-2 and have solved many issues thus far. I've just got everything functional again, (minus the Pump valve computer, don't wanna fry it until I have absolutely everything else working correctly again) and when running the engine at a fast idle I get 34 volts in the electrical system. Obviously that's waaaay too much! Is there a voltage regulator somewhere I can adjust or is the alternator self regulating? How can I bring the voltage down to an acceptable level? Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1willie592010-12-01 20:13

    Most alternators now days use internal regulators, and yes, 34V is way too high. I'd take it to a alternator shop to have it checked out.

  2. #2spitzair2010-12-01 23:15

    Thanks Atco. I took it to an electrical guy but he wouldn't be able to fix the regulator, he told me... He could rewind it and put new bearings in and such but unfortunately nothing with the regulator. Oh well... I guess I'll get a new one. I'm pretty sure that the voltage being that high was a contributing factor to the computer letting it's smoke out...

  3. #3willie592010-12-01 23:41

    Well darn, that don't help ya much does it. Might be worth a shot to contact Leemar Parts in BC, just a thought. Don't know if they have what you need, but worth a shot. http://www.leemar.ca/hitachi-excavator-parts-products.html

  4. #4spitzair2010-12-02 00:35

    Hey thanks, I didn't know these guys existed. I'll give them a call first thing in the morning! Cheers!

  5. #5typ42010-12-02 01:43

    No small shop rewinds anymore. He is buying new windings. But the regulator is the problem.

  6. #6TD-52010-12-02 12:28

    There is also this outfit in Langley, they dismantle quite a few Hitachi's, http://www.langleyexcavator.com/ Also Deal Equipment in Kamloops, they sell mostly used machines but do dismantle a few http://www.dealequipment.com/ There is also an outfit on the surrey /langley border around 80th ave that dismantle machines but I've lost their name, maybe someone else local knows it. Spitz, I've been following along your threads with interest, as I also thought seriously about your machine when it came up on Craigs list. Very interesting to see/hear what your finding.

  7. #7spitzair2010-12-02 17:51

    Thanks for the links guys, I think you're thinking of Brikers there TD-5, is that correct? I bought a set of JD/Cat switches from them for this machine. 'Nother question, what are the two little wires with the plug coming out of the alternator for? When they're hooked up my battery relay sticks on and none of the lights in the console work, when they're not connected everything seems to work OK. I guess chances are I got them reversed as the new alternator came with a different plug and different colored wires... Just hoping I didn't already cook the new alternator too....... Didn't start the machine yet as the batteries are dead, my guess from being boiled by 36 volts for who knows how long... Cheers.

  8. #8TD-52010-12-02 23:42

    Brikers, Yep thats the outfit, had their site book marked ,but somehow lost it

  9. #9spitzair2010-12-03 00:30

    I bought a few things from them recently. Very good service and good prices too. www.brikers.com is their website. I'm very pleased with their help so far.