I have a 1996 Hitachi EX300LC-3C with the Isuzu 6SD1T engine. I ran the engine today for about 15 minutes to get it warm to change the engine oil. When I removed the oil plug I noticed green antifreeze coming out for the first few seconds and when I inspected the plug it had remnants of antifreeze on it. The engine runs great with no smoke. Does any one have any ideas as to where this antifreeze is coming from? I looked in the manual and the water pump is crankcase lubricated and the oil cooler is cooled by the antifreeze. Thanks for any help.
That is a dry liner engine so engine oil cooler is the most likely and desirable place for this problem. A broke head or block would be the only other places I can think of for now. Someone else might know of other places. Good Luck!
What about the water pump? Is there any tests I can perform to figure out where ts is coming from? Thanks
make sure the weap hole in that waterpump is clear and not stopped up as this can cause it to leak internally instead of externally
The water pump on those are oil lubricated, it can cross contaminate there. I have a good head for it if you need one.
how can I get hold of you if I need it and what are you asking for it? Thanks
I sent you a PM about the head. I didn't fix ours when it crapped out, an independent shop did it. I sourced the head for it and bought an extra for a spare as we had 2 identical machines. This was after the independent had got burned on a head from a dismantler that had been milled. That won't work on a gear driven overhead cam.
Did you have coolant in the oil also? Mine does not smoke and runs fine, how did you know your head was bad?
Yeah, it had coolant in the oil. It was pressurizing the cooling system and getting hot. The head was cracked. If yours isn't smoking white or missing, I'd say you caught it in time. You should be able to pull the water pump and plumb some regulated air pressure at about 40 lbs. into one of the oil ports and plug the other one off with the pump in a tub of water to see if it's leaking by the seal. I did not know that the SD1 was a dry liner engine, but John C. should know.